Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 11:23am
Quote: Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying - Arthur C. Clarke

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lead above Window Opening (Read 3211 times)
Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Lead above Window Opening
Feb 21st, 2009, 11:41pm

I have noticed on the outside wall of my house there is a strip of lead that stretches across one of the window openings about 2 or 3 courses above. What was this used for? It looks like where the lead finishes either side, it is replaced by bitumen instead. Is this some kind of damp proof course? ( Built 1930's, some mods during WW2 )

Thanks

Gammy

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Re: Lead above Window Opening
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:39am

Do you have cavity walls? It sounds like a cavity tray. It's designed to deflect any water running down inside the cavity to the outside. Stops it pooling on the lintel and crossing to the inside.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:40am by CWatters »  
IP Logged

Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2009, 1:38pm

CW,

Yes, there is a cavity. As for lintels I have exposed a timber lintel inside but have yet to find an exterior one. I have noticed a lot of houses round here have the same lead strip above window openings so it was obviously common practice to install. There are no obvious weep holes in the wall so can I assume that if it were a cavity tray that the water would run off each end into the cavity?

Strange thing is the second identical window opening in the same room doesn't have this lead strip.

Thanks

Gammy

IP Logged

trowelhead
Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2009, 7:32pm

I always thought these lead protrusions were to stop the rain running down the wall into the window reveal and down the window?
Its definitely nothing to do with weeps for a lintel,as somebody else said, there are never any weep holes.
The only reasons i can see it missing from other openings is the window was fitted later or the strip has been removed!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2009, 7:46pm

Trowelhead,

I can see the logic in fitting as a drip and i'm sure it would have been added when that section of the house was repaired after the WW2 bomb damage. I have still got the cavity open not far away so I will prod about to see if it extends into the inner wall

Gammy

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:25pm

We've recently demolished part of a house that had these lead strips.  They were cavity trays deflecting water to the outer skin of the cavity.  Any water that did not soak into the outer wall would have dripped off the ends of the lead and down the (empty) cavity. No weep holes were evident.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print