Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 11:52am
Quote: If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Damaged wall (Read 2229 times)
aswell
GDPR opt-out

Damaged wall
Mar 9th, 2009, 5:40pm

I have an old property, some of the tiles on a north facing wall were coming loose, after removing them I found the brickwork behind to be rotten.
After repairing the brickwork, what is the best way to avoid water ingress, plastic cladding or refit the tile hangers and tiles, or is there a better suggestion?
Note the brickwork is only 1 course thick in parts.

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Re: Damaged wall
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2009, 11:05pm

It is difficult to advise properly without being able to see what your situation is. If you could post some pictures it would be handy...

My guess would be that if the tiles were fitted properly the first time then there should be no issue with water ingress/damage? Are the other houses around you a similar design/layout to yours, so you can see what they have done?
If you are going to be stripping off the tiles anyway then now may be a good time to add some insulation.
Really need more info/details...

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2009, 8:21am

Got to wonder how the water is getting behind the tiles. Problems at the top?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2009, 7:39am

Bricks don't usually rot, they can blow when subject to cold but I doubt that would happen behind tiles.

The bricks could have always been this way, as they were hidden from view perhaps the original builders just used up all the damaged bricks for this section.

Plastic cladding is the last resort, I would reinstate the tiles if it isn't a massive job.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2009, 7:40am by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print