Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 3:39pm
Quote: 640K ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates, 1981.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Combi or circulation boiler? Please advise! (Read 3475 times)
Flora
GDPR opt-out

Combi or circulation boiler? Please advise!
Mar 10th, 2009, 9:54pm

Hi, hoping someone can give me the benefit of their wisdom and experience! We're in the process of getting quotes to replace our boiler in the hope we can bring our bills down - it's a hot water tank/circulation system, at least 20 years old, costing a fortune to run and every winter we dread it breaking down, so time to bite the bullet and replace it.

We've had four quotes now, but I'm more confused than when I started. Scottish Gas recommended a Glowworm combi. The next guy (independent plumber) said he could fit us a combi but would have to re-site it, as the only brand he installs (Worcester Bosch) wouldn't fit the space our old boiler is in, so a like-for-like replacement would cause less disruption. The third guy (larger local firm) said he would advise against a combi unless we were planning on replacing all the pipes at the same time, as pressurising the system might show up leaks in the pipes and if we took that risk, it would be a nightmare to find and fix them. However, I since discovered that they too only fit Worcester Bosch and wonder if he just didn't want to admit that the combi they stock wouldn't fit. Finally, we had another local guy in who recommended a combi, said the existing pipes would be fine, and he's only had problems with leaks in two or three over his long years in the trade.

So now I've ended up with two quotes for a combi and two for a tank system, which feels like comparing apples and oranges! My gut feeling is the combi will be cheaper to run (we've a three bed house but only one - electric - shower) but thoughts of ripping up floors to find an elusive leak do worry me - and I've seen quite a few posts on here about the difficulty of tracking down leaks. So - is it really a genuine risk? Anyone care to place odds on it?

Thanks very much for any expert advice offered!

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13
For This Post: 0

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Re: Combi or circulation boiler? Please advise!
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2009, 10:21pm

Hi Flora

I'm not an expert but while we're waiting for the gurus here is my two-pennorth.

Combi's are cheaper to run?  I'm struggling to follow the logic on that one. They may be cheaper to install if you don't have a hw tank already but as far as I am aware the key thing as regards efficiency or running costs is that you have a condensing boiler......and all boilers are now that..both tank type and combi.

They're right about leaks. I've just installed my first combi system and it was (is) a bugger to track down the leaks and that is in a new system (but then maybe it's my lousy plumbing!). Certainly because a combi ch system is pressurised then any tendency for leakage will be exacerbated.

How many people in your household? How good is your water pressure? Lots of people = lots of demand on the hot water ....maybe all at the same time?  If your water pressure/volume is low then you'll have problems with a combi.

So my take? Given that you've already got a hot water cylinder etc then go for a conventional boiler.  
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2009, 10:22pm by londonman »  

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2009, 10:57pm

Ok, an experts opinion, allbeit extremely biased.

First has anyone tested the flow rate and pressure of the mains, may not need doing if the water hits the sink and splashes over.  Cool

The only reason a new boiler cannot go somewhere handy to the old one is regs, if there's likely to be a problem with flueing, you don't want to be blowing a cloud at the neighbours for example.

Scottish regs are different to ours, but to quote ours you will need to upgrade the system, to fully pumped, and fit TRV's, room stat etc.

There is a real chance of problems with leaks, if the pipes are buried in concrete for example probably as high as 80%, and that includes the radiators, run a mirror along the bottom and backs of the rads for signs of rust.

Finally the reason for changing it, reliability, on that point alone I would mark a combi as 2/10, against a heat only boiler 8/10.

You haven't said what make model the old boiler is, but there's a saying which goes, "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT" depends what condition it's in, but you will never recover the cost of replacing a working boiler, upgrading the system and insulation would.

Would I fit a Combi, in my own house, Not a cat in hells chance, unless it was a top of the range, Broag, or Atmos.

IP Logged

greg
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2009, 6:25pm

Scuff don't like them tin cans  Grin

If the old system is working OK, and reducing your bills is what you are after, then as Scruff has said, insulation will reduce your heat losses and also, look at the controls on your existing system, do you have room thermostats, TRV's etc

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2009, 7:48pm

The cost to run a heating system depends mainly on how well insulated your house is and what temperature you heat it to. An old boiler might be 75-80% efficient and the new one 85-90%. That's will have an effect on your bills but don't expect them to halve. Insulation might be a better investment, depending on what you have already.

Some people dissagree but I feel Combi boilers are really only suitable for houses with one bathroom and average families. They don't really have the flow rate for multiple showers or old fashioned rain heads and body jets. However if you are used to an electric shower a combi is likely to be ok.

My preference is for a stored mains pressure hot water system of which a mega flow is one example. For any mains pressure system (combi or megaflow) it's essential you have someone check that the main pipe to the house can deliver both the static pressure AND the flow rate required.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2009, 7:50pm by CWatters »  
IP Logged

Flora
Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2009, 10:33pm

Thanks all of you for your advice.

Hmm. Consensus seems to be I could be causing more problems than I solve with a combi? My logic about it being cheaper was simply that we would only be paying for the water we used, rather than heating a whole tank full at a time, but maybe that's too simplistic? We've only the four of us in the house, and one bathroom, and water flow is really good - Scottish Gas man measured it but I can't recall figures quoted - we can fill a deep bath in about 10 mins (which I know we wouldn't be able to do with a combi, but it gives an indication of current situation). All four quotes included fitting pump, filter, bringing flueing up to current standards etc.

The existing boiler is a Baxi WM 51/3RS, if that means anything to anyone! We have three big issues with it: one, the worry it'll break down and we won't be able to get parts to get it fixed, two, that we can only have HW and heating on or off, they're not on separate circuits so in the summer we just have to turn down all the radiators to zero when the HW is on. Finally, it's fitted in our cellar and there's no thermostat indoors to control it, so we got quotes for a remote thermostat so we can adjust it without going outdoors and into the cellar. So I think we will replace it, it's just a question of what to replace it with.

You're swaying me towards replacing with another regular boiler though, the leaky pipes thing does give me nightmares...

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 10

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Nottingham
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2009, 11:11pm

'we can only have HW and heating on or off'

I'm surprised you can't have HW only, doesn't sound quite right to me. You may well benefit more from upgrading the system with a heating control pack and some minor plumbing than changing the boiler. Having more control over the system will make life a lot more comfortable and easier for you too.

Some TRV's, a well lagged cylinder and adequate loft insulation will also help maximise on energy saving.   Shocked

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2009, 12:36am

The system can be re-piped to a fully pumped system.

Modern cylinders are much more efficient than the old ones, so consider changing that, especially as the existing one is getting on a bit.

Back to the boiler, it could be re-plumbed as a Y plan, complete with a 3port valve, room stat, cylinder stat, and thermostatic radiator valves as a minimum. I don't recommend remote thermostats, they are troublesome in your situation, although a programmable room stat would be a good buy.

If you want to pm me an email address I will knock you up a simple sketch of what you could do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print