Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 7:55am
Quote: Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are foosteps on the moon - Paul Brandt

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Painting an old tongue and groove wall (Read 10861 times)
josiejo
GDPR opt-out

Painting an old tongue and groove wall
Apr 13th, 2009, 8:31pm

I was wanting some advice on painting an old tongue and groove wall in my daughters room.  It was previously painted with very old gloss type paint, so have sanded back a bit and given a layer of good quality wood primer.  I would like to paint it in a distressed matt finish in colours to complement the rest of her room.  Can I use normal coloured emulsion over the primer?  Would also like to know if there is a matt finish varnish I can use over the emulsion to give it a little protection.

Many thanks,

Jo.

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Re: Painting an old tongue and groove wall
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2009, 11:19pm

You normally use wood primer on new/unpainted wood, then undercoat, then gloss/eggshell etc.

You do get primer undercoat paints, 2 in 1, quick drying.

I would paint the wood with a water based undercoat (or the primer undercoat mentioned above) then paint the emulsion onto that.

There are varnishes that will do the job.

You could paint the wood with satin or eggshell (as opposed to gloss), in the colour you want and not bother with the emulsion and varnish option.

IP Logged

Twobarrows
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2009, 12:59pm

Forget varnish / emulsion, use a GOOD quality finish paint that is specifically designed for use on wood. Otherwise be prepared to be disappointed. If it had already been painted & you've sanded it all, you wouldn't normally bother with undercoat, & primer is not necessary.

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Decorator

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2009, 4:09pm

Hi Josie.

Don't know what sort of distressed finish you are going for but as it's tongue and groove I would imagine it would be a 'dragged' finish.
Forget water based paints, ie, emulsion or acrylic, as the paint you use for distressing will soak in and start drying before you have had a chance to play about. Use an oil based eggshell as a base coat, this will ensure the distressing will stay workable for longer, any mistakes you then make can be wiped off and you can have another go.

The other colour you will be using (if any) should be eggshell as well.

Eggshell is self undercoating so you can apply two coats on top of the primer, rubbing down between coats.  Eggshell dries with a sheen so if you really want a matt finish you can buy a water based matt varnish to finish with. Being water based it will not discolour. When you put it on it will go all 'milky' but will dry clear.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

josiejo
Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2009, 6:52pm

Thank you all for your input.  I will try using eggshell and see how i go and finish with a matt varnish as i def want a matt finish. The distressed finish i'm trying for involves sanding back the topcoat to reveal the other colour underneath in places. Fingers crossed!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2009, 8:46pm

In that case Josie, use a flat oil paint and then there will be no need to varnish.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2009, 10:41pm

Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2009, 3:38pm

Let's get this straight Josie, you sanded down the old painted T & G, primed it, probably going to give it two coats of paint and then sand it to make it look like... old painted T&G.  Roll Eyes

Just kidding  Wink

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print