Quote: One step beyond.....

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
marble tiling (Read 2544 times)
Tika
GDPR opt-out

marble tiling
May 12th, 2009, 2:46pm

Is there an alternative to using plastic/chrome trims on external corners when using marble tiles on a bathroom wall? Presumably mitring might result in the tiles cracking. They are about 10mm thick, polished on the surface, but not on the edges, so would look ugly butted together. Is there a way of polishing the edges perhaps? Or are marble trims available?

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Re: marble tiling
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2009, 9:07pm

I tend to butt the external corners. I think you will be creating a head-ache for yourself if you try and mitre them. As for trims, I have seen metal (chrome, stainless etc) and plastic (various colours) but I can't say I have ever seen marble ones.

You can polish marble worktops so I suppose there is no reason you can't polish tiles (loads of elbow grease!). If you fancy giving it a go then you will need something like...
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30347/Abrasives/Polishing/General-Polishing/Glass-...

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7
For This Post: 0

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Re: marble tiling
Reply #2 - May 12th, 2009, 9:26pm

I was on holiday last week in a holiday cottage, one of those second home places that are rented out for a few weeks during the year so some of them have been renovated to quite a high standard.

Now, sitting on the toilet I happened to notice - as you do when you look around other people's toilets - that the tiling had been done very well indeed and one particular aspect of it had been done in a way I have never seen before... the external corners had been MITRED, cut away on the corner to within a mil of the glazed edge, giving a sharp, close-fitting edge.

As I said, never seen it before and would never have dreamt of doing it. It was either the result of someone doing a bit of lateral thinking of their own or someone having been told about the technique by one of those clever sods we all hate because they have all the good ideas first.

Of course, with the introduction of some pretty effective powered tile cutters nowadays with diamond blades that can be set to 45 degrees, the use of such techniques is suddenly possible.

It might just be the answer to your question. If it works, let us all know!

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print