Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 9:22am
Quote: Why do people without a watch look at their wrist when you ask them what time it is?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PC Back Up (Read 8819 times)
trowelhead
GDPR opt-out

PC Back Up
Aug 16th, 2009, 9:54pm

Hi all,
       i need to back up (before its too late) all my photos,vids and music files from my pc.
My files are too big for the online freebie virgin offer so i need something i can do at home.
My problem is i know nowt! I've read reviews etc on websites that talk about formatting and god knows what about external back up drives so i'm basically scared!
Is there anything on the market that you can just plug into your pc and it automatically saves and backs up our files without too much intelligence?
Qvc did one,the click free,but one review i read said that if files where deleted from your pc and you then plugged the clickfree back in it would delete the files automatically!Surely that defeats the purpose,or is it me being thick?
What i want is something i can plug in,and without too much tech knowledge,back up what i need.
Hope i make sense,any ideas?
Cheers.

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Re: PC Back Up
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2009, 8:48am

If you go to Curry, PC World, Staples, Maplin or any other shop that sells computer stuff you will find portable hard-drives.
They plug into your PC using a USB cable (some can be connected to a network, so more than 1 computer can use it) and act like a second hard-drive. Most come with back-up software included and they are pretty straight forward to set-up and use. An example...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-WDME5000TE-Essential-Midnight/dp/B001GT7...

I use Drop-box, which is a free on-line back-up service (as long as you keep it below 2gig, over 2 gig you pay). It means I can edit/view my invoices and quotes from any one of my computers or any computer that has internet access. It syncs with a folder on my main computer, so if I edit or delete a file, it does the same on the net.

If you have a Hotmail account they have a thing called Skydrive, where you can store a few gigs of info for free. I think all the free email providers have similar services.

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2009, 8:52am

I forgot to ask, how many gigs of stuff do you want to back up?
You can buy USB memory sticks that can hold 32GB, which is a shed load of stuff. I bought a 16GB stick for under £20 a while back and it can fit on your keyring.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2009, 10:44am

I use a pair of hard drives in an external USB enclosure. As zambezi says they are pretty straightforward. They appear as drives when you open "My Computer". You can just drag and drop files onto them but if you do that it's upto you to keep track of what you have an haven't backed up. I'd look for a program that will do scheduled backups either nightly or weekly or both.

When you go on holiday unplug and hide the USB drive somewhere in case you get burgled. Don't leave it sitting next to your PC or they will nick that as well.

There are two types of backup. File and Image. File level backups copy all the files and are great for backing up photos and documents. However if you want to be able to restore the operating system with all it's applications and settings (eg if drive C fails totally) then an image backup is worth doing. This copies the raw contents of the drive.
Ideally you want a program that does both types of backup. I'm not uptodate with which program does what. I'm using rather old out of date programs.

I also like to keep a backup on DVD as less likely to get stolen. however I don't trust DVDs for storing family photos long term. I've had some writable discs degrade over two years. The foil layer was visibly crumbling/flaking. DVD writers are quite cheap but you might not be able to fit a backup on one disc. It takes 6 discs to backup my entire PC so I have to be there to change the disc. Larger Blueray writers are still expensive but might be an option in a while.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

sparky415
Trade Member

Its more complicated than
I first thought

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2009, 5:55pm

I got myself one of these when I was last having computer problems
(luckily I managed to save everything)
Seems easy enough to use  Smiley

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/36-1038889/Hard-Drives/Maxtor-Basics-Portable-25...

IP Logged

mfwuk
Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2009, 6:49pm

He says he just wants to back up/save his photo's, vid's and music files.. no disrespect to anyone but there's really no point in using 3rd party software for that unless you prefer doing things the hard way. He just needs an external usb hard drive or even a couple of usb memory sticks, as Zambesi rightly says they are a good size these days.. hard drives are more reliable though.  
Trowelhead i deffo wouldn't recommend going to PC World or Maplin etc for such items, unless money's not that much of an issue to you.. check out play.com or ebuyer instead if you want the best value for your £.

Having said all that, if you have a fast internet connection an alternative to getting any usb drive is to create a free account at mediafire.com and upload your stuff there, you get unlimited storage for free, the only restriction is you can only upload files upto 100MB each in size although you can always split them with winrar if you need to so it's not a big problem.. check it out bud.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2009, 9:47pm by mfwuk »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2009, 8:56am

They all require some work and some knowledge, whereas Trowelhead admits to total ignorance on the subject. Fair do's.

Easiest route is to buy an external hard drive. PC World currently have an offer of a ridiculously large one for ridiculously little money, but why buy one with more capacity than your computer's? Right?

So, get an external hard drive.

Fire up your PC and click on 'Start', then 'My Computer'.

Plug the HD into a USB slot on your PC.

You'll see it appear on the 'My Computer' screen, which will tell you what the identifying letter of that HD is. (Something like 'j' or 'h', or 'L'.) Remember that.

Click 'Start' again, only this time RIGHT CLICK it. You'll see 'Explore' there, second from top. LEFT CLICK on 'Explore'.

Every folder on your PC will appear as a list. Look for the identifying letter of your external HD on that list. Just note where it is.

Try clicking on various folders in that list. Places like 'My Documents'. You'll see a [+] sign by the side of folders, click on that and all the files within that folder will appear on the list. The [+] sign will have changed to a [-], clicking on that will make the list shrink back to the folder. Do that a couple of time until you're used to doing it.

Having learnt the lesson some time ago, I back up my stuff regularly. I do a routine back-up of current files as they're modified straight onto a memory stick, both as security and so that I have them available for transfer and storage onto my workshop PC and directly off the memory stick for my notebook. Once a week (Sunday morning) I copy all major folders onto an external hard drive. In the event of a major disaster, I never lose more than a day’s work on my PC. And if all three computers went down I wouldn’t lose more than a week’s work!

Anyway, I digress…

Simply left click on the folder to make all its files appear in the right half of the screen, or left click the [+] to open a list of all the files in that folder in the right half of the screen. Have a play around with that. (You can do it whilst reading this post if you want to!)

By moving the cursor over the folder you want to copy, you can LEFT click and hold and drag it over to the location of the external hard drive in that list on the left side and the entire FOLDER and its contents is copied across.

Opening up the folder, its contents are displayed as individual files on the right side. Left click on the file you want to copy, hold and drag across to the HD. That FILE will then be copied across.

Piece of piss really.

IP Logged

mfwuk
Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2009, 1:21am

There is an excellent registry 'hack' that makes moving & copying files  (in Windows) loads easier and quicker.. do a google for  "copy to/move to"  to check it out.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2009, 8:30am

Just found it and downloaded it. Nothing. The files were extracted and sat there as two files. Nothing. There doesn't seem to be a way to 'install' the program.

The other "problem" is that the facility only seems to work on files, giving you the option to copy to another destination whilst that file is open, whereas the copy within 'Explore' allows copying of a full directory with all its contents; all its files are copied with one click and drag.

What am I missing?

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2009, 3:08pm

Quote:
There is an excellent registry 'hack' that makes moving & copying files  (in Windows) loads easier and quicker.. do a google for  "copy to/move to"  to check it out.

Has a few quirks...

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/02/02/66160.aspx

IP Logged

trowelhead
Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2009, 3:27pm

Thanks guys,especially Joiner,it looks like even with my brain i could do that!
I was thinking of one of those little memory stick thingys but i would either lose it or one of the bloody kids would feed it to the dog or something!!!
External hard drive it will be then.(i wonder how much swearing there will be when i try!)
Think i will also try one of the online freebies awsell,you can never have too many back ups.
Thanks again all. Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparky415
Trade Member

Its more complicated than
I first thought

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Electrician

Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2009, 9:07pm

sparky415 wrote on Aug 17th, 2009, 5:55pm:
I got myself one of these when I was last having computer problems
(luckily I managed to save everything)
Seems easy enough to use  Smiley

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/36-1038889/Hard-Drives/Maxtor-Basics-Portable-25...

Honestly this was very easy!
(even for me)   Wink

IP Logged

mfwuk
Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2009, 10:57pm

Joiner wrote on Aug 19th, 2009, 8:30am:
Just found it and downloaded it. Nothing. The files were extracted and sat there as two files. Nothing. There doesn't seem to be a way to 'install' the program.

The other "problem" is that the facility only seems to work on files, giving you the option to copy to another destination whilst that file is open, whereas the copy within 'Explore' allows copying of a full directory with all its contents; all its files are copied with one click and drag.

What am I missing?

A couple of things i think..

It isn't a program 4a start, it doesn't install.. it's a registry edit which adds the commands 'copy to' and 'move to'  to you context menu when you right click on something, and that includes folders or indeed anything else that you can right-click on, not just files.. i don't know where you got that from bud.

I've certainly never had any problem with it, either with XP or Vista and indeed in my honest opinion it's one of the very best & most useful 'tweaks' there is.. that was why i mentioned it, ironically enough.

Anyway, there is a reg file here (http://www.mediafire.com/?jqnjmx0ijdx) that adds the functionality when doubleclicked.. i'm guessing that that isn't whatever it was you had found?
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2009, 11:02pm by mfwuk »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print