Send Topic Print
Plastering question (Read 3477 times)
Demelza100
GDPR opt-out

Plastering question
Sep 7th, 2009, 7:29pm

Can anyone tell me if you can plaster on to ply?  I have boarded
most of the kitchen walls as I was advised this was the best thing
to do as it was better for hanging units. I don't want tiles above or below the wall units and was going to have them plastered and then
painted. However, yesterday, when the work was done someone told me you cannot skim onto wood.  I have asked a plasterer who also says he has never heard of it. Can anyone give any advice on this eg can I skim if I use some sort of sealer first? Can I use a metal mesh?or is there a wide tape like they use for plastering on board?
Any advice welcome. Huh

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Plastering question
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2009, 7:39pm

The best option is to cover the ply with plasterboard and then plaster the plasterboard. Ply moves slightly with changes in moisture and is likely to crack any plaster applied to it even if it is covered with a metal mesh.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Bristoldecorator
Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2009, 8:50pm

Hi, as the previous comment notes you need to board the room correctly with plasterboard in order to plaster. Should this be a difficult task, your only viable alternative is to line the room. Buy trade quality 1200 grade lining paper, ensure the imperfections between the ply boards are feathered, (blended) in with powder based filler so as not to show imperfection underneath the lining paper once erected, rub the filler down with 120 grade sandpaper. Then hang the lining paper HORIZONTILLY not vertically. This drastically reduces the advent of visible seams and when painted (if carried out well) will look almost exactly like plastered walls . Hope this helps

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2009, 9:04am

Good idea Bristoldec and welcome to the forum!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print