Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 3:29pm
Quote: A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dry Lined Shower room - Completed Thanks (Read 3312 times)
BigClick
GDPR opt-out

Dry Lined Shower room - Completed Thanks
Nov 1st, 2009, 5:36pm

I have gutted an en-suite room. The walls are dry lined on the external wall and one internal wall. This corner is where I am installing the shower.

I intend to repair the plaster board  (tile and shower tray removal damage) and tank it using a brush on solution (two coats at 90 degeree angles). I will be using tanking joints at the floor level.

After reading through here Aqua board seems to be popular, so, my question is will my original plan plan be ok  and will it protect the walls from the shower?

Cheers

« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:50am by BigClick »  

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Dry Lined Shower room
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2009, 7:30am

I've done the same as you many times and had no problems. I took out a shower a few months back that I had fitted about 8 years earlier; not a drop of water had got through the coating and the plasterboard was as good as new. It needs doing properly, two coats as you say and be especially carefull how you seal it at the bottom where the tray meets the wall, then you should be OK.

The main thing with the waterproof boards is that if water does penetrate then they stay intact, whereas plasterboard once wet will disintegrate. Just got to make sure water doesn't get onto it Wink

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

BigClick
Re: Dry Lined Shower room
Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:50am

woodsmith wrote on Nov 2nd, 2009, 7:30am:
I've done the same as you many times and had no problems. I took out a shower a few months back that I had fitted about 8 years earlier; not a drop of water had got through the coating and the plasterboard was as good as new. It needs doing properly, two coats as you say and be especially carefull how you seal it at the bottom where the tray meets the wall, then you should be OK.

The main thing with the waterproof boards is that if water does penetrate then they stay intact, whereas plasterboard once wet will disintegrate. Just got to make sure water doesn't get onto it Wink

Great to hear, I will crack on then;-) On the floor I will be laying down a waterproof isolating membraneand use a rubbery joint tape at the wall edge. The other two walls were not tiled in any case before so the tanking paint and tiles should take ok?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Dry Lined Shower room - Completed Thanks
Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:41pm

Quote:
so the tanking paint and tiles should take ok?

Main thing is to follow any instructions on the tin. You could always try a small area to make sure it adheres properly to the plaster.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print