Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 6:44pm
Quote: Half the people you know are below average.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flex outlet question (Read 2431 times)
Rodden Shaw
GDPR opt-out

Flex outlet question
Nov 30th, 2009, 11:23pm

Hi all,

I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to how the electrical wiring in my house works. I can wire a plug, but that's where it ends.

So. I have a 'flex outlet' for a heater that was never installed in a place where I have no electrical sockets. Can I lop the plug off of the flex on a multi-socket extension and wire that into the flex socket? Will the output be 240v? I obviously don't want to blow anything up!

Thanks for your patience with an idiot. Smiley

Rodden

IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: Flex outlet question
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2009, 12:08am

Right,

Where is this flex outlet? Is it in a bathroom? If so, then no - do not do as you suggest.

If the outlet is elsewhere in the house, then why not just change it for a single socket front instead?

It's best not to chop plugs off, and hard-wire ( directly connect ) extension leads into flex outlets. They are there for fixed electrical appliances and not extension leads.

TT
TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Rodden Shaw
Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2009, 10:05am

Thanks for the advice. The flex outlet is in my living room, sandwiched between two doors. Because of the doors it's awkward (though not impossible) to run an extension to the area, thus why I was looking at using this outlet.

So, theoretically I should be able to put a new face place on and have a functioning three prong socket? Obviously I know about breaking the circuit, etc, before hand.

Again, thanks for the advice.

R

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2009, 12:26pm

I generally recommend turning of power to the whole house when doing something like this. Less risky than trying to turn off just one circuit when there is nothing on it to confirm it's off.

Would be nice to know that there is an RCD or RCBO in the consumer unit feeding this socket.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print