Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 12th, 2024, 1:46pm
Quote: A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ideal Combi DHW goes cold (Read 2715 times)
Ifor
GDPR opt-out

Ideal Combi DHW goes cold
Jan 16th, 2010, 10:38pm

Help, please you experts!  My Ideal Combi Mini  HE C28 is only just over 2 years old.  A few days ago, shower suddenly went cold for a few minutes, then got hot again.
I proved it was not a shower problem by running a hot tap in the kitchen and this ran hot for a minute or two, then went cold, then hot again.  The boiler has warning LEDs which flashed a code for Air Pressure switch failure.  The boiler cuts out after 1-2 minutes.  15 seconds later the LEDs signal the problem and about a minute later, the boiler re-ignites and the cycle repeats itself.
I called a local heating engineer.  He started by checking the cleanliness of the fan venturi, which was OK.  He then disappeared off and retuned with a replacement air pressure switch which made no difference at all to the problem.
He did all the other stuff, which I guess is normal such as adjusting the  gas pressure etc.  He remarked on how clean the interior of the boiler was.
Having spent a couple of hours, much of it reading my Ideal installation and servicing manual, promised to return the next day.
On returning the next day, he measured the vacuum created by the venturi which measured 1.4 mbars on boiler ignition and over the next minute or so dropped steadily to 0.7 mbars at which point the boiler stopped again.  
With the inner case cover removed, the problem disappeared.  
My engineer clearly is stumped by the problem, and has now spent close to 5 hours at my home, and keeps muttering about the eventual bill.
His last suggestion is to replace the fan (£150.00??) to eliminate it from the problem but doesn't really inspire me with any confidence that this will cure it.
I have 2 problems 1. The boiler is not fixed and 2. This guy is going to present me with a huge bill for no resolution.
The engineer seems a really nice guy and I have no reason to believe he is deliberately ripping me off.  But should I be paying while he stumbles about trying to fix it?
Help, help, please  

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13
For This Post: 0

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Re: Ideal Combi DHW goes cold
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2010, 5:31pm

I can't comment on what is wrong with your boiler but in reply to your last  question But should I be paying while he stumbles about trying to fix it if it were me I'd resent the use of the word 'stumble'. No-one is omniscient and if it is a strange and obscure fault then it will take time to fix.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Nottingham
United Kingdom

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2010, 10:09pm

'With the inner case cover removed, the problem disappeared.'

This would suggest to me that the fan is struggling to draw air in from the outside which it does by creating a vacuum in the boiler when venting.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Ifor
Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2010, 12:42am

Headrush - your suggestion makes sense.  My engineer says that with the inner case cover removed, the fan has an easier task and is therefore running faster and creating the vacuum necessary for the air pressure switch.
Does this suggest a blockage in the flue, especially the air intake?  Thinking about that very point today, I removed the small plastic plug which covered the "sampling point" on the intake side of the flue but this did not help.  A smoking taper close to the sampling point showed that air was actually being drawn into the flue but so very gently that it would seem that most of the airflow required by the fan was coming down the flue.
Any further thoughts?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print