Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 4:22pm
Quote: To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism, to steal from many is research.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copper pipework (Read 2914 times)
MrD
GDPR opt-out

Copper pipework
May 10th, 2010, 12:32pm

I have re-run most of the central heating pipes in a friends house and although all pipes have been cut to length and have the fittings all in situ, I have yet to solder them. The combi boiler is not due to go in until the end of the summer.
So my question is: Can I solder them now and let the boiler installer flush the pipes out then OR will I have to solder them together nearer the time (I know the latter is best but I want to pressure test my runs)

Any advice greatly appreciated

Mr D

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Copper pipework
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2010, 8:52pm

If you are going to pressure test your bit why can't you flush it as well?

I'm not a plumber but in my experience copper is a lot easier to solder if you thoroughly clean the joints (pipe and fitting) with wire wool, then immediately coat with flux, assemble and solder them. If you don't clean the joints or leave the copper to oxidise again it will be a lot harder.

Murphy's law also says you will forget to solder one if you do them later.

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2010, 8:53pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2010, 1:23am

No reason why you can't complete the job, solder, test and flush the pipes. In fact it's recommended.

You should cap any open end to keep the creepy crawlies out. Speedfit caps will do for that as you can take them off for reuse.

Remember if you're doing any gas, it must be exposed for the engineer to inspect and test.

IP Logged

MrD
Reply #3 - May 11th, 2010, 6:04pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear on my post but I know how to solder. My concern was on the flux eating away at the pipework. Would flushing the system via a mains pressure surfice? Obviously I won't be able to add any flushing chemicals.

Thanks again

Mr D

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2010, 1:30am

Quote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear on my post but I know how to solder. My concern was on the flux eating away at the pipework. Would flushing the system via a mains pressure suffice? Obviously I won't be able to add any flushing chemicals.

Thanks again

Mr D

I don't think anyone suggested you didn't, but if you know how to solder, you will apply flux to the pipe only, and as a result very little flux will get in the pipe.

When you have completed the pipework you should water pressure test it, after which you can drain down and flush with mains water, drain down and cap any open ends.

IP Logged

MrD
Reply #5 - May 12th, 2010, 4:59pm

Thanks Scruff thats all I wanted to know.

Thanks CW for your input too
Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print