Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 16th, 2024, 10:55pm
Quote: History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it - Sir Winston Churchill

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Multiple Routers (Read 8897 times)
wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 4
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Multiple Routers
May 25th, 2010, 8:03pm

Hello lads,

is it possible to have more than one router in your house? we are talking for the purpose of plugging in rather than wireless.

cheers

All advice is at least two years out of date.
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Re: Multiple Routers
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2010, 8:38pm

Whether equipment is in the same house or not doesn't matter. What matters is what it is connected to.

What you CAN'T do is have more than one ADSL modem or router with built in ADSL modem active on the same phone line at the same time.

You can put routers behind each other but it can be tricky to get it set up right and I wouldn't normally reccomend it except in unusual situations (e.g. where you need to create multiple isolated networks but frankly if you are asking this question and have needs like that you should be getting someone in who knows about networking).

The normal thing to do would be to have one router and then connect network switches to it to provide more ports.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2010, 8:39pm by plugwash »  
Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2010, 11:09pm

plugwash wrote on May 25th, 2010, 8:38pm:
The normal thing to do would be to have one router and then connect network switches to it to provide more ports.

just like in my place... one main router and 4 switches, meaning a total of 20 something link ups for various items... (with a few spares...and Netgear of course!!)

and Wozzy wrote .. Quote:
is it possible to have more than one router in your house

110% YES... , well in the workshop.... OH!! ROOOT-ERRS

i thought you said Routers, 1/2" or 1/4"...LOL!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2010, 11:22pm

What Pugwash said.

If you just need more ports buy a network switch and plug it into a port on the existing router. It can be in another room if that's where you need the extra ports.

If you already have a second router, check the instructions as some can be downgraded to switches using the internal configuration menu. Chaining two routers can be done but it can be harder to set up.

Adding a switch is bit like a telephone company adding more lines to an existing telephone exchange. Adding a second router is more like building a new telephone exchange with the lines getting a different dialing code.

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=what%27s+the+difference+between+a+rou...

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2010, 2:56pm

Wozzy - What do you call a router?

I think you may be thinking about using a router with network switches to provide more points?  This is fine.

A netgear DG834(g) router or similar can act as a switch and wireless access point if you simply do not connect it to a phone line and disable the DHCP.  Let your main router deal with the DHCP.

For domestics, something like a Netgear FS or GS 605 would give you 4 ports, using the 5th as the 'uplink' to the router.  You can daisy chain switches off each other as much as you want, but the bandwidth is obviously shared in the 'uplink'.  This makes no odds for broadband traffic as it is all bottle necked at the DSL line anyway, but does make a difference if you have several machines file and print sharing down the same 'uplink'.

What exactly are wanting to achieve?
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2010, 2:58pm by Lectrician »  

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2010, 7:34pm

thanks for the help.  

this is the scenario, customer has a bt home hub in house.  customer had a pc in a outhouse and wants to start using it as a office, they asked if they could simply buy another router and plug it in to a existing telephone line in the outhouse, i wasnt sure if this was possible.

I suggested seeing if they could receive their wifi out there but they wasnt keen on this.

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2010, 9:19pm

You can't picky back routers onto a phone line.

You could use wireless, you could even setup a wireless bridge between the house and the office (an access point in the office which can do DHCP, connected to a switch which then connects to the printers and computers etc).

IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Reply #7 - May 26th, 2010, 9:38pm

i thought it may be a bit too simple to do that.  I suppose i could re position their existing router nearer the back of the house to give a better wi fi signal to the outhouse? or suggest one with a extended range?

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2010, 11:44pm

Wozzy, now knowing the problem is basically distance etc, and wanting hard wired (my pref too) how about the plug in adapters, have seen and used these before on an other job!!

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/devolo-1145-dlan-duo-homeplug-adaptor-starter-kit-...

come to think of it BT do their own version of these too! http://www.shop.bt.com/products/netgear-14-mbps-wall-plugged-ethernet-bridge-3Z8...

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2010, 6:28am

The speeds on those can be less than wireless though.

You could add an extra access point close to the rear of the house, or move the router.

You could use a microwave, laser or optical link too - a little too costly maybe Grin

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #10 - May 27th, 2010, 7:52am

Does he want to run a business from the outbuilding? If he's rich he could consider converting the extension to a second phone line. It should then be possible to put a second ADSL modem out there. Means paying for two lots of line rental but many houses already have enough wires running to them for two lines.

PS There are cheaper ways of getting a seperate phone number for the business though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print