Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 16th, 2024, 4:40am
Quote: A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Broadband 'scrappage'? (Read 4618 times)
JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Broadband 'scrappage'?
Jun 24th, 2010, 10:20pm

I have two telephone lines here at home.  I have checked with an online broadband checker and Line 1 can get 1.5meg while Line 2 can get 2.5meg.

My current ISP is Pipex  Cry and it's on the slower of the two lines.

I have two questions really:

• Can I get another ISP to provide me with broadband on the other (faster) line while keeping Pipex on the slower line?  This is to try and avoid MAC codes and all the possible glitches that an ISP changeover can create.  If the new supplier works ok I will then dump Pipex.
  • Alternatively, could I get Pipex to migrate my account from the slow line to the faster line?  I would then stick with Pipex for a while longer possibly

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Broadband 'scrappage'?
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2010, 12:17am

how did you actualy check the second line!!
surley it will be a theoretical speed as its not connected and the likley outcome is the speed will be the same as the other line assuming they both travel down the same cable or route from the exchange!!
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2010, 12:18am by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2010, 7:28am

As Bigall says - The speeds are an informed guestimate.

Have you tried other means of improving your line?  How many extensions are on the line?

How far from the exchange are you?

You could subsribe to a second ADSL account on the second line with no problems, and then give pipex a months notice (assuming you are out of contract).

You could ask pipex if they will move the ADSL - I have just had to do this at a business site and BT did it FOC (seemlessly overnight) - Pipex I expect would want to charge and would more than likely want to re-jig you onto another 12 month contract....

Just for info, if you had money to spend each month you could keep both ADSL lines and then use a bandwidth sharing router - it doesn't increase speed as such, but gives more bandwidth to keep the traffic throughput up when a couple users are on.  You can get 'bonded ADSL' which are two or more ADSL lines bonded at the exchange and at the router and these do give increased speed - The lines need to be from the same ISP, and an ISP who offer bonded lines.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2010, 7:37am

ISP are used to people moving house (or at least they should be). The proceedure for moving to the other line is similar.

I've been quite happy with Plusnet for past three years. Not the cheapest though.

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2010, 8:46am

Just for your info, both lines are connected.  One line is my main telephone (with 4 extensions) and the other is a dedicated fax line (with no extensions) which is also my broadband line at the moment.

When I did a line check some months ago, the line which is now the faster of the two (2.5meg) was actually unable to provide broadband at all so I assume there have been line upgrades in the meantime.

I assume I would have to add filters to all my extensions if I moved over to the faster line (4 extensions).

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2010, 4:23pm

again the lines are likley to be identical all things being the same
if your not botherd to spend the money and find out no difference [or possobly slightly less]then go for it  Smiley

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2010, 2:15am

Lectrician wrote on Jun 25th, 2010, 7:28am:
You could ask pipex if they will move the ADSL - I have just had to do this at a business site and BT did it FOC (seemlessly overnight) - Pipex I expect would want to charge and would more than likely want to re-jig you onto another 12 month contract....

You could but why the hell would you want to ?! afaict pipex are part of one of the UK's shittiest ISPs (possiblly the shittiest).

If you have sky TV and sky have LLU in your area (check samknows.com) I would advise sky broadband. Otherwise if 02/be are in your area I'd reccomend them. If neither has a presese in your area i'm not sure what to reccomend.

Quote:
The lines need to be from the same ISP, and an ISP who offer bonded lines.

Which typically means a very expensive ISP Sad

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2010, 7:20am

I think I'd check what speed you are actually getting using a speed checker rather than what BT estimate you should get. It's unlikely the other line will be significantly different.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print