Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 12:47pm
Quote: Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plasticizer (Read 2233 times)
JohnD
GDPR opt-out

Plasticizer
Oct 27th, 2010, 11:36pm

I am going to be using small quantities of Plasticizer - the instructions are 5L per 100 kg - to mortar up my chimney.  

How does this relate to half a bucket of compo?   Only want to mix up small amounts, not sure how much to add and don't want to get it wrong.

Thanks

John D

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Plasticizer
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2010, 12:01pm

That sounds like a lot of plasticizer, you would be putting in over a litre per 25kg bag of cement. Is it a wintermix plasticizer? You do put more of that in the mix.

It only has to be approximate proportions, putting a lot too much in can weaken the mix, put too little in and it is not "plastic" enough.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JohnD
Re: Plasticizer
Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2010, 4:09pm

Its a winter plasticiser, and it is 5l per 100 - 120kg of cement - not mix. My apologies.

Have just sorted it out by weighing and measuring all ingredients - about 300 ml - 400 ml (300 ml is a small jamjar full) per 10 litres of dry mix (nearly a bucketfull) seems to go off well and makes a good strong job. Instructions are to double up for frosty conditions.

Thanks

John D

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print