Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 27th, 2024, 9:23am
Quote: Alcohol and mathmatics do not mix. Never drink and divide.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tool insurance (Read 1929 times)
dj-paul-c
GDPR opt-out

tool insurance
Dec 20th, 2010, 6:25pm

the van insurance company i have been with for 3.5 years has the optional extra of tool insurance,i think off hand it is 44 pound per year for 1000 pounds worth of cover

i keep thinking i should get tool insurance but i know there are alot of ins and outs and im sure the insurance company will try get out of paying up if the worst comes to the worst

who has tool insurance and do you think its worth it ?

i read a bit on the net where if its  tools in the van the insurance company will pay out at the used/second hand price

i had one of my houses broken into about 3 years ago and it was an absolute nightmare to get the insurance to pay out,it went to another sub contractor company,the only things stolen were my samsung lcd and a crappy mobile fone, the company asked me the same questions every time they foned,asked for reciepts ,fotos of the stuff in the house ect,had a real fight with them to pay up, i had given them the police incident forms i had,sent them the instruction manuals for the tv ect, made me wondered why i paid house insurance, in the end i got a voucher for currys for 549.99 for a tv that was origionally 1800 pound and an even worse mobile fone  than that had been stolen

and all that hasle for staying at my parents one random night watching x factor and celebraty jungle, missus went round in the morning,patio door burst wide open, upstairs like a jumble sale drawers tipped everywhere,2 weeks before xmas Lips Sealed

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: tool insurance
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2010, 7:04pm

All I can say is read the small print in the policy. Most insurance policies pay out what the items are worth when stolen unless it is a "new for old" policy. 10 year old tools might not be worth much compared to the cost to replace.

If you have something stolen and make a claim they will also check to see if you are under insured. For example suppose you have £5000 worth of tools but only take out £3000 worth of instuance cover... Later when you have a drill worth £500 stolen they may only pay out 3000/5000 * £500 = £300 because you are under insured.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 4
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: tool insurance
Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2010, 8:22pm

as CW said read the small print.

On mine they stated if its not parked in a garage (not that my van fits in a garage) the maximum they would pay out would be two thirds of the tools value.

All advice is at least two years out of date.
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print