Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 6:44pm
Quote: They begin the evening news with 'Good Evening' - Then proceed to tell you why it isn't

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
induced voltages in cables run in trunking (Read 6043 times)
budelectrical
GDPR opt-out

induced voltages in cables run in trunking
Feb 20th, 2011, 5:33pm

I have recently been studying a problem with cables in trunking . The run of trunking is 150metres and there is 9x4c 1.5mm swith wires . the 4c is split into two pairs of switch wires a normally open pair and normal closed pair .
The problem is when a proximity switch down the other end of the shed that switches off the 110vac switch wire . The contactor that is being switched doesnt drop out because there is a 70vac remaining on the circuit.
I have even tried testing at the proximity switch and theres no voltage remaining when the switch shuts.
What im thinking is that there could be an induced voltage in the cable ?
When i disconnect the pairs of cables that arent in the section of the circuit thats causeing the problems ( the normaly closed) i can see for each of these 9 pairs that i drop out that the origanal 70vac problem drops by 6-9vac. Is inductance likely to cause this problem . Huh

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: induced voltages in cables run in trunking
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2011, 8:09pm

If the input impedance of the contactor is quite high pickup between the wires could indeed be the cause.

Perhaps change the proximty switch to a double throw type so that instead of OFF = Open circuit (meant to be 0V but with pickup = 70V) you have OFF = Short circuit = 0V

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2011, 8:11pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

budelectrical
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2011, 9:05pm

that sounds like an idea but would that stop the induction on the cable?

THe only other option that i had come up with was to link each Norm open switch at 1 end of the shed and then have just 1 pair running the 150 meters to the front instead of a pair for each run in series from front to back ( in affect 9 pairs each pair add up to 300m . 300x9 =2700m of 1.5 cable)
the new linkig at the back would reduce it to 3-400mtrs

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2011, 12:20am

Not sure I follow your description but.

The pickup will allways occur BUT it's only a problem when the contactor wire is floating eg when the proximity sensor is open circuit. When that happens a voltage appears across the contactor input. If you can "short" that voltage to the other contactor terminal when the contactor is meant to be off the problem should dissapear.

I'm not sure if the proximity sensor you have can do this but this is what I was suggesting above.

Image 2   
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2011, 6:30am by Lectrician »  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2011, 12:21am

Excuse my spelling on that diagram. Can't be bothered to change it.

Do you know what the contactor coil impedance is? If it's low then the above is all wrong!
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2011, 12:40am by CWatters »  
IP Logged

baz
Trade Member

If it ain't broke, keep
fixing it until it is!

Total Thanks: 0

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Henley-on-Thames
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2011, 12:23pm

You could try hanging one of these across the feeds to to contactor (that assumes one side of contactor is always tied to neutral).

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts...

Why is it that, when we stumble across a can of worms, instead of running for the door we find ourselves reaching for a can opener?
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print