Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 2:58am
Quote: You can keep quiet & let everyone think you're a fool or you can speak and confirm their thoughts.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
is my tv ariel knackered ? (Read 7357 times)
dj-paul-c
GDPR opt-out

is my tv ariel knackered ?
Nov 10th, 2011, 5:42pm

i got a tv for the upstairs bedroom,living room tv runs from telewest

i had my tv running in the bedroom for a few days with no problems, yesterday i thought id try and make it better so -

existing was-- tv ariel on roof cabled into attic "taped" joint then 15 meters of coax (i fitted a plug when i bought the tv -and droped cable through ceiling)

i tried to --fit new tv coax point and box at the "taped joint" in attic, plugged in an extension lead from tv point down to tv approx 3 meters in length,

after that there was no signal,i retuned hardly picked up many chanels and tv screen looked like lots of pixels

i got my basic continuity tester and tested between the centre pin and the outer and i was getting a reading ?? of 4 ohm, a very near dead short ?? surley this shouldnt be a correct reading ??

it did rain the other day and also the ariel has been in for many years

any help appreciated
do i need a new ariel

i checked on the satcure site but cant see much regarding testing a tv ariel
my ariel has the connection box on top,mebae theres water in it ?? or have i blown something in the ariel after cutting the wire

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13
For This Post: 0

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Re: is my tv ariel knackered ?
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2011, 6:48pm

Repeat after me...

If it ain't bust, don't fix it!

I would look at the only change you've made to the system...if I follow you correctly. Namely your coax socket and plug. Chances are you've got a whisker of earth shorting to the inner.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

dj-paul-c
Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2011, 7:16pm

londonman wrote on Nov 10th, 2011, 6:48pm:
Repeat after me...

If it ain't bust, don't fix it!

i was thinking that last night after i "fixed" it  Roll Eyes

i disconected the cable from the tv point and tested the cable on its own after re stripping the end and still got a reading from centre core to the outer screen ?

i think ive properly fooixed  Cry

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2011, 8:46pm

at the aerial the 2 cores at joined to the same bit of metal Smiley

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2011, 7:16am

A standard TV aerial will present a short when tested with a multimeter.

To test properly you need a signal meter whicg measures gain and signal to noise ratio, not a tool that most sparks would fork out on unless they do aerials quite often.

I would double check all your plugs and joints for shorts (whiskers), and remove as many joints as you can.  If you need to joint, use two F connectors and a coupler.  These make a solid joint rather than a casual one.

Choosing a replacement aerial is not as simple as thinking "bigger the better", if you get an aerial that is too large, you recieve too much signal, and this is worse than too little.  Don't neccessarily go by what you have already - it could have been installed incorrectly already.  And the same goes for looking at the neighbours!  If the street seems to all have the same type/size, then go for it!

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2011, 7:48am

Best way to joint a cable is to use two F-Series male connectors on the cable ends and an F-series female to female coupler. However the F-Series male connectors can be a bit fiddly to fit if you've never done one. Plenty of instructions on the web though.

One problem with digital TV is that the picture can appear perfect even when the signal is very marginal. That means a small reduction in quality can push it over the edge and make it appear as if you have introduced a major fault. Some places recommend avoiding face plates totally as they are usually poor quality.

Take a look around this site..

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/cableandleads.html

IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 4

Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2011, 8:26pm

f plugs are a doddle to use, and make a good connection, not sure they work that well on low loss crap though.  

I have one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRINGE-2-1-Satellite-TV-Signal-Meter-Finder-Sat-/19037...

worked fine at my house, where there is crap signal.

All advice is at least two years out of date.
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2011, 9:25pm

That type of meter just gives you a "signal" reading - useless really TBH.  You could be focused on the incorrect satellite, or picking up interference, and yet the meter would still show a "strong" signal.

I have two meters, one for SAT, which has the most commonly used sat transponders installed (changeable online), and allows you to align your sat to them all.

I also have a digital UHF meter which will give you the signal gain and signal to noise for each 'channel' frequency, with the added benefit of a 'test' button which then compares the two readings to give you a "sh*t" or "ok" reading!

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2011, 9:46pm

Lectrician wrote on Nov 11th, 2011, 9:25pm:
That type of meter just gives you a "signal" reading - useless really TBH.  You could be focused on the incorrect satellite, or picking up interference, and yet the meter would still show a "strong" signal.

I have two meters, one for SAT, which has the most commonly used sat transponders installed (changeable online), and allows you to align your sat to them all.

I also have a digital UHF meter which will give you the signal gain and signal to noise for each 'channel' frequency, with the added benefit of a 'test' button which then compares the two readings to give you a "sh*t" or "ok" reading!

Oh the bliss of decent test gear.  Many many years ago I was a lecturer at the BBC Engineering Training Centre.  What test kit they didn't have, wasn't worth having.  Borrow it for the weekend?  Not a problem!

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

dj-paul-c
Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2011, 6:31pm

update,

i had tested an ariel at a job i was at a few days after posting this, there was no reading between the cores

(i think it just depends what ariel is installed -like scotspark says)

i changed the extension leads for proper coax -retuned and bingo the tv worked,i may have altered the tuning by accident as well as it gives 3 options ,ie
dtv
dtv + tv
tv

obviously for digital or non digi,but these would depend on what the transmitters kicking out

thanks for the "input"  Cool

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print