Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 17th, 2024, 12:48pm
Quote: You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fitting a range cooker into Chimney Space (Read 4991 times)
oliveriles
GDPR opt-out

Fitting a range cooker into Chimney Space
Nov 16th, 2011, 3:14pm

Hi,

I have Belling Kensington 110G free range cooker that we would like to fit into a chimney space.

I would like the fumes from cooking to go into an extractor unit and then up a flue lining in the chimney breast, with the fumes leaving the house via the chimney pot on the roof (2 stories up).

The problem I am having is;

a) I can't find an extractor unit that we can recess into the chimney breast that will do the job- made worse because the chimney breast is only 38cm deep and I also need a large width extractor unit as the cooker is 110cm wide.

Can anyone suggest one that would work for me.

b) The next problem is condensation - I am assuming the extractor unit will have a flex lining attached to it which will run up to the top of the chimney.  When the air gets to the top it will have cooled and there must be a risk of water running back down to the unit.  Guess I need some sort of drip tray?

Thanks.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Fitting a range cooker into Chimney Space
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2011, 8:14am

I believe if you want to use the chimney you need an insulated liner/duct. You may have to use a smaller "built in" unit and hide it in the chimney, perhaps behind a fake wood lintel?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2011, 4:24pm

The last time we did anything like this, we used a thin wall spiral wound stainless steel duct, with a cowl mounted fan (controls mounted by cooker, and a panel made up (by local metal work company ) just within reach inside of the lintol, to allow 3 filter panels to be housed in.... that way it catches the oil/grease etc, in the filters, and yet due to the location of the fan, it was not really heard, plus with a cowl mount, it had flap dampers to stop and draughts coming back down the chimney....

hope that helps a bit...

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2011, 1:22am

Last house I lived in had an extractor mounted ad you describe.  From memory it was a Bosch one.  Don't know what duct was above it, if any.

The guy doing our kitchen suggested having the extractor vent via the chimney, and using soil pipe as ducting.  It's available in nice long lengths, and is smooth inside which helps cut down noise.  Not sure if building regs allow this, and in the end we opted to have it recirculating.

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print