Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 2nd, 2024, 9:28am
Quote: The colder the x-ray table, the more of your body is required to be on it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electric hob wired through electric shower circuit (Read 7064 times)
Derek Reed
GDPR opt-out

Electric hob wired through electric shower circuit
Jun 25th, 2012, 9:06am

Hello,

We have an electric shower wired with a separate circuit in our fuse box (consumer unit). That is all fine. Our shower broke recently so I turned off the circuit at the box so I could take the front off the shower safely.

This morning we found that our electric hob in the kitchen was not working. however everything else in the kitchen worked fine, including our oven and grill.  When I switched the shower circuit back on at the fuse box the hob worked fine. This leads me to think that the hob is wired through the same circuit as the shower.

Is this normal?

And advice is gratefully received.  Many thanks.

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Electric hob wired through electric shower circuit
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2012, 1:59pm

No, this is not normal.  If you use the hob and shower for a sustained period, the MCB will trip due to the overload.

I would suspect (guess) that the shower was installed after the initial installation and there was not enough ways in the fuseboard.  They therefore doubled it up inside the fuseboard - A photo with the fuseboard cover off would confirm this.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Derek Reed
Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2012, 9:26pm

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  The kitchen was actually moved to an extension around 10 years ago, so I think the shower may have been wired in first (the house was built mid 1990s).

I have tried to upload 2 photos.  One is of the fuse box

Fuse box

It looks like there is an extra space at the end (no 8).  The shower and hob are wired through no 2.  I notice there is not a seperate one for the oven in the kitchen.

The other photo is of some switches in the kitchen for the various appliances.  

Switches in kitchen

You can see they have wired in switches for most things.  What I can't understand is why they would have wired the hob to a different circuit than the oven, unless someone has thought that it is more likely that the oven and hob would be used together and overload the circuit, whereas it is less likely that the hob and shower would be used together....that's just a guess from a complete novice though!

What I'd like to know is if the current wiring is either illegal in any way or potential dangerous.  Is that something you can tell from the information I've given so far?

Many thanks in advance for the advice.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2012, 9:44pm

What is the first MCB feeding then?  The one labelled shower?  Possibly the oven?

Do you feel confident to turn off all the breakers and remove the cover to take a picture?  Obviously the incoming cables to the top of the far left breaker will still be live, although shielded.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Derek Reed
Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2012, 1:48pm

Hi,

Sorry - in my haste I had not looked at all the breakers properly.  You are right - the first one is labelled 'cooker'.  That one feeds the electric oven and grill (single unit with 1 fan oven and 1 oven/grill) in the kitchen.

I would have thought that the hob ought to be wired to that one, not the shower one (no.2).  Maybe that would be too much load if both ovens and all the hobs are on..?  That does happen sometimes - the missus loves to cook!

I will have a look this evening at removing the cover and see how I get on and repost either with a photo or a message saying I tried and wimped out!

Many thanks for the ongoing adice on this.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print