Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 20th, 2024, 10:02am
Quote: The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax - Albert Einstein

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electric Meter readings business (Read 8656 times)
PeteStar
GDPR opt-out

Electric Meter readings business
May 13th, 2013, 1:32pm

Huh Huh Huh Huh We have moved into a building where EDF are the supplier they have a meter in that reads the usage and sends down the telepohone line the amount of electricity we use daily.

We have at the most 87 tubes, 4 computers, 3 heaters, and a few white goods on for most of the day.

the first quarter bill was nearly 4k, i was hoping that is was estimated but clearly not, after a bit of tooing and throwing they have come back and said that the units used have to be x10 to regulate it, after a little more research it has said somewhere this is true but should have a label on the unit (which is dosent)

we can not see how we a re using as much as an industrial unit with lost or 3 phase and powerful equipment. Something is not right somewhere and we need help as we are a not for profit org that provides free swims to young people and sponsor schools ad clubs through recycling, we need some professional help, is there anyone out there.

PLEASE

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Electric Meter readings business
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2013, 3:56pm

With some very rough sums its looking like it would cost you £2 per hour to run everything; this at 14.5p per unit and using 14kW. This breaks down to 3 off 3kw heaters and 87 off 50W lights, plus the computers and white goods.

You would need to run this rate for 2000hrs to use £4,000 worth of electricity. There are about 2160 hours in a quarter so it would be just possible if you never turn anything off to burn this much electricity.

Can you take your own meter readings with the meter you have? If so I'd see how much you use in 24hours; bearing in mind you may have switched the heaters down as it is now almost summer.

Lectrician should be along later and he may be able to give you some more specific advice.
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2013, 4:00pm by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Electric Meter readings business
Reply #2 - May 13th, 2013, 3:59pm

This Topic was moved here from Just Talk by woodsmith.

IP Logged

PeteStar
Reply #3 - May 13th, 2013, 5:06pm

we did it for 1 week to get a good average use,
Thursday 21/2/13 16.05pm      to        Thursday 28/2/13 9.30am                                 Difference

Reading 1:                                                                    Reading 2:
Import 212761 KWH                                      Import 212941 KWH                                      180
Import Lag 011489 KVarh                               Import Lag 011498 KVarh                               9
Export Lead 013032 KVarh                              Export Lead 013053 KVarh                              21
Total 214631 KVarh                                        Total 214814 KVarh                                        183
Rate 1 168822 KWH                                       Rate 1 168973 KWH                                       151
Rate 2 043939 KWH                                       Rate 2 043967 KWH                                       28

and yet they say that what we see has to be multiplied by 10 to configure the meter, also they will not help us by sending someone out to see what we have on to asses our situation properly

and thank you so much for coming back to me so quick, i do have a full list of items that we have here if that would help to approx give us an indication how much we should be charged as a small business

thnak you Pete Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

woodsmith wrote on May 13th, 2013, 3:56pm:
With some very rough sums its looking like it would cost you £2 per hour to run everything; this at 14.5p per unit and using 14kW. This breaks down to 3 off 3kw heaters and 87 off 50W lights, plus the computers and white goods.

You would need to run this rate for 2000hrs to use £4,000 worth of electricity. There are about 2160 hours in a quarter so it would be just possible if you never turn anything off to burn this much electricity.

Can you take your own meter readings with the meter you have? If so I'd see how much you use in 24hours; bearing in mind you may have switched the heaters down as it is now almost summer.

Lectrician should be along later and he may be able to give you some more specific advice.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

PeteStar
Reply #4 - May 13th, 2013, 5:07pm

we did an audit to check what we had that could use so much

Quote:
we did it for 1 week to get a good average use,
Thursday 21/2/13 16.05pm      to        Thursday 28/2/13 9.30am                                 Difference

Reading 1:                                                                    Reading 2:
Import 212761 KWH                                      Import 212941 KWH                                      180
Import Lag 011489 KVarh                               Import Lag 011498 KVarh                               9
Export Lead 013032 KVarh                              Export Lead 013053 KVarh                              21
Total 214631 KVarh                                        Total 214814 KVarh                                        183
Rate 1 168822 KWH                                       Rate 1 168973 KWH                                       151
Rate 2 043939 KWH                                       Rate 2 043967 KWH                                       28

and yet they say that what we see has to be multiplied by 10 to configure the meter, also they will not help us by sending someone out to see what we have on to asses our situation properly

and thank you so much for coming back to me so quick, i do have a full list of items that we have here if that would help to approx give us an indication how much we should be charged as a small business

thnak you Pete Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

woodsmith wrote on May 13th, 2013, 3:56pm:

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2013, 6:49pm

The digital reading on the meter usually has x10 at the end if it is required.  You will find this on larger services due to the high consumption.  They charge you per 10units, and not singularly.

You show some small export figures - turbine or solar?

Do you know your service size?  If you scroll through the menu items on the meter, what does it show you for CT ratio and VT ratio?

You could have around 5kw of lighting (58watt tubes), 6kw of heating (2kw heaters),  0.5kw of computers (125w each), circa 1kw of white goods.

That's 14.5kw, and lets assume 10 hours a day, and 14.5 per unit (R1/R2 average).

14.5kw x 14.5p x 10hrs = 2102.5p per day (circa £21)

£21 per day would be £7,665 per year, £1,916 per quarter.

What are you pence per unit rates?

You can hire check meters to install, we actually have one of our own these days as it seems to be a regular request by customers!

It is very rare to find metering errors, but I have seen the CT ratios set incorrectly for the installed CT's that have been installed.  This can cause large over or under readings.

What model meter is yours?  Ulster?  I would investigate the x10 issue and make sure it is correct - the meter should indicate this on it.

Where are you based?

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Gilly1am
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2013, 6:49pm

Hi Pete, I'm a newbie to this site too & am not a tradesman but to me it does look a lot for what you're running which wouldnt be 24/7. Your 1week audit, during cold, darkish month of February gives a 'Total' figure of '183'. If i'm seeing this right & your paying a full unit price on all the units (I see you have 2 readings ?different tariffs although majority units are on the 1st reading) then x10 factor gives 1830 units over 1 week.

We dont know your tariffs but say it was a flat 14.5p/unit, as suggested above, this would give approx £265/week.... £3450/quarter ?excl. VAT etc. too which sort of goes along with the £4000 you've been billed for last quarter.

This doesnt explain the high electricity usage considering you're presumably only using the heaters & lights during business hours & not 24/7. I have heard of supplies or wiring being 'shared' between premises ending up with one premises paying the lions share of the bill!! Personally, I would get a commercial electrician to take a look.

Hope things work out as your work looks a wholly worthy cause. BTW, my occupation is a GP !!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Gilly1am
Reply #7 - May 13th, 2013, 6:51pm

I see Lectrician beat me to it & posted whilst I was composing my post!!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

PeteStar
Reply #8 - May 20th, 2013, 3:09pm

sorry for the late reply, it says that CCL on the amount of KWH @ 0.524 pence per unit on one bill

but this is what is listed  on the first bill:
Maximum Demand 0 34 units
Unit charge ALL other 0.11887 Total Units 6096
Unit Charge Night 0.07352 Total units 1178

we have 87 tubes, sorry they are more 7ft
max 4 fridges
5 computers
3 toasters
4 kettles
max 4 heaters
2 tv's (only get used once a week)
3 water heaters, that dont really get used

there is no one here in the evening, hope this helps you help us thank you again

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - May 20th, 2013, 7:53pm

CCL is the "climate change levy" added on top of all units consumed.  Think of that as a tax.

What are the exact hours of occupancy?  Anyone on site between midnight and 7am?  What would be in use during these times?

When you say the water heaters are not used, are they on, but not being used, or off?

The heaters - how often are these on?

Give this spread sheet ago.

you can change the kW's, hours and unit prices.  Calculating cells are locked, although the password is just 'att'.

Image 195   

Book1_001.xlsx (13 KB | 200 )

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #10 - May 20th, 2013, 11:09pm

87 lights, that's a lot, and I'm wondering how big the room is that would need so many lights and what sort of heating are you running? It just seems odd to have 4 small heaters, or are the heaters industrial ones?

Could you turn everything off, except for the fridges, as you leave, take a second reading next morning as you arrive and see if something has been consuming a lot of power overnight?

IP Logged

PeteStar
Reply #11 - May 21st, 2013, 3:40pm

it is just a shop area, and the heaters are only in the offices, the shop has no heating.

Hours of work, everything goes on about 8am - 5pm mon-sat, 1 computer may stay on until say 7pm sometimes later if i am working.

for 4 nights from 5-8 there are some lights on for the dance room but that is only 9 max and a stereo.

the only thing left on over night is the fridges, and very very low watt lights for fire exits.

the waters heaters are there but we dont really use hot water, so guessing they will be on all the time

once again thank you so much for helping and only hope we can come to a positive conclusion. Smiley Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Reply #12 - May 21st, 2013, 4:07pm

do you have anything like an outdoor service or loading area where the light are always on  Huh

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

PeteStar
Reply #13 - May 21st, 2013, 4:44pm

nope nothing

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #14 - May 21st, 2013, 6:34pm

With rough calculations using the spreadsheet, I reckon around £850 per month.

That's £2,550 per quarter.

What's VAT on Electricity?  5% for domestic and charities, but pretty sure it's still 20% for businesses.

So that's £3,060 per quarter.

I didn't allow for losses in the (assumed 70watt) fluorescents either.  They could be old magnetic ballasts, consuming more than allowed for.  This could push it near to the £4k mark.

Can you double check the exact size of the tubes, and make sure the quantity is correct?

Can you get the actual kw rating of the heaters and water heaters?  And other kit to if possible?  This would help.

Guestimating usage can be hit and miss to be honest.  The best thing to do if you think you are being over charged is to fit a check meter, either your own, or get the supplier to do so (with a charge to you).

You sure you have not missed anything?  Heaters off at night?  If the water heaters are on, but no water drawn, they will still cycle on and off.

If your premises part of a larger one?  There hasn't been alterations, two units knocked into one and then split again?  You're not feeding somethign you don't know about elsewhere?
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2013, 6:42pm by Lectrician »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print