Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 7:22am
Quote: If there is a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modern Houses - Opinions Needed (Read 2746 times)
bano70
GDPR opt-out

Modern Houses - Opinions Needed
Jul 31st, 2013, 9:41am

I'm an old house person and indeed I live in an old house. Recently I've been looking for an older rental property but they are mostly shot to bits. So now I'm starting to think of buying a more more modern house, say, built in the last 20 yrs or so. But, I've heard lots of tales that new houses can be poor quality and full of their own defects. What is your advice re buying newer properties. Some building companies must be better than others or maybe there are tell tale signs of cost cutting and poor quality that I should be looking out for?
Thanks. It's not a DIY question I know that, but your input is appreciated.    Wink

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Modern Houses - Opinions Needed
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2013, 11:27am

You can get a pretty good idea just by walking round. Things to look out for are partition walls made of twin plasterboard with an egg box core ( the wall will be very thin less than 50mm compared to about 100mm for a proper stud wall). Very thin cheap internal doors. Look to see how the sanitary ware has been fitted, is it a neat job round the back? Squeaky stairs and upstairs floorboards and quality of balustrades are another obvious thing to look for. Plus dont rely on its NHBC warranty, if it has one, in my experience they are almost worthless.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2013, 8:55pm

Correction, an NHBC warranty IS WORTHLESS...

sorry about that,

but Woodsmith's advice is pretty spot on really,

in my opinion, I would not touch a house that has been built after 1980...(unless of course we built it!! ahem!) as the general strength and quality just is not there..
many of the older rental properties are usually just cosmetically shot.. having refurbed quite a few now.. the biggest problem with them in general, is damp course failure due to using a tar dpc which weeps out due to age and years of heat cycles... but can be rectified..

in terms of new builds, small developments are better, as the quality will be maintained on a "few" rather than a large amount on a quick turn around!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2013, 11:03am

Many modern estate houses are pretty dire with small rooms and poor build quality. However there are one or two small builders out there capable of building nice houses.

Have you considered getting one built for you?

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2013, 8:34pm

If you're looking to rent the house out, a modern house is fine IMO - Cheap to purchase, little to really go wrong.

I am more a fan of 1970 - 1990 type houses.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print