Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 9:53am
Quote: Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Main Supply Fuse Board - block flats (Read 7580 times)
wendyelainedonald
GDPR opt-out

Main Supply Fuse Board - block flats
Aug 6th, 2013, 6:18am

Several  months ago I bought a flat that had been empty for some years.  It has taken all this time to have EDF get to the point of agreeing to reconnecting electricity after a rewiring, new consumer unit and ICERT.  They turned up to do this and on going to the main supply fuse board in the block of 17 flats said that the main supply fuse was faulty, the old thing was old, can't get spares for fuse assemblies and in their view it needed replacement.
Now I understand that the Freeholder type body is responsible for this.  What i want to know is what this means in terms of cost.  I understand that I own a part of freehold, and I need to have an idea of what is involved and costing to take to the other owners through the Management Comnpany.

EDF has been a total nightmare throughout the whole process, I could not believe that getting electricty on could be dragged out for so much time, with so little help or information, and now this!

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Main Supply Fuse Board - block flats
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2013, 7:04am

I assume the fuse holder you refer to is the Electricity Boards (DNO), which is pre meter.  They own, and are responsible for this.  There should be no cost to you.

Photo?

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

wendyelainedonald
Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2013, 7:23am

I understand that the supply to the property and to mains distribution board in the building  is not the responsibility of EDF or me.  I am in south-east London  and don't remember name of the company that is responsible for this.   I am abroad at present, and person who was onsite for EDF on my behalf was told by EDF it was Freeholder/head lease who paid for the replacement or repair of board itself.  I am confused.  The EDF report state that Mains Distribution Fuse Board was unsafe, with broken fuse, all protective flashguards missing, DFB old and needs to be changed.  I can't send photos as I am a long way away at moment.
As it is extremely important to me to have electricity in my flat, I am trying to work out who is my next port of call, and you are suggesting it is the supplier of electricty to main distribution fuse board in building.  Would the name you gave be same for south-east London?  
Many thanks for your prompt response to my enquiry

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2013, 3:34pm

If it is after the meter, the switch fuse would belong to you and would be your responsibility to replace.

If it is before the meter, it is the responsibility of the "Distribution Network Operator, DNO", who for you area should be UK Power Networks?

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Electricity/AboutElectricity/DistributionCompanie...

EDF are just your meter operator, and they simply install the metering.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

wendyelainedonald
Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2013, 12:58am

Thank you.  I have made an email enquiry to the supplier to see what their opinion is of responsibility.  Then I will go on to the next step if it is responsibility of Freeholder/owners.  Would we be talking a large amount of money for this sort of job.  Just a ball park figure would be helpful - 1000, 2000, ?  Very grateful for your response

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

wendyelainedonald
Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2013, 1:04am

Just had an email from my electrician to say that a second opinion from another electrician checking it out, plus managing to get through to EDF tech support, and inspection by various bodies has come up with the opinion that it should be possible to connect me.  Yes it is old, and yes it is not in the best of health, but does not need replacing.  Fingers crossed EDF now send someone else out to connect.  

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print