Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 2nd, 2024, 1:14am
Quote: Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
plastering over a brick wall in bedroom (Read 9091 times)
russellmre
GDPR opt-out

plastering over a brick wall in bedroom
Aug 20th, 2013, 1:26pm

would be very grateful if anyone could help me with a plastering problem. Due to a leak (now fixed) I had to strip a rectangular area of around 2 square meters of plaster around 10 mm - 15mm thick from the bedroom wall, leaving the bricks under the plaster exposed. Now the wall has dried out, I want to re-plaster the exposed area. What's the best way of going about it? Do I have to prepare the bricks with some kind of sealing compound before applying plaster?
Should I cut plaster board to size and dry plaster the hole?
Or should I mix up plaster and plaster over the hole? if so, I see there are several kinds of plaster at the DIY store, which do I use? do I apply it as a single layer or as multiple layers? Should I use finishing plaster for the final layer?
sorry to ask so many questions but would really appreciate your help,

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: plastering over a brick wall in bedroom
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2013, 7:42pm

You have a biggish area there for a patch repair. You could use plasterboard but it is difficult to patch it this way and guarantee that you won't get a lot of cracks around the board, plus you would need to buy the board, adhesive and a one coat plaster to fill the voids and a multi-surface plaster to finish. You may be better off buying a midi bag of undercoat and a medium to smallish bag of finish, BnQ sell this type of midi size bag, I think that would work out the cheapest option.

You may need to PVA the wall first, it all depends on how dry the wall is, but if in doubt I'd prime the wall with PVA to be on the safe side. Just follow the instructions on the container.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2013, 7:43pm by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

russellmre
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2013, 7:45am

thanks for that information! really helpful. Only thing is, I live in Belgium, so I have to try to figure out what are the locally available equivalents for the products you mention. Looking at the catalogue for Brico DIY store, they have Knauf Goldband single coat gypsum plaster, suitable for all types of masonry, in 10 kg/25kg bags - would that be the undercoat? they also have Knauf Fix and Finish, bonding and finish plaster, 1-3 mm, that would be the finish I guess. It only seems to be available in 25 kg bags. PVA would be polyvinyl acetate.
Another thing, part of the bare wall is on a corner, how do you get the corner to look nice? (it's an internal angle)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2013, 10:56pm

Things are different on the Continent and especially so it appears with plasters. The Fix and Finish looks like our Bonding Compound which is a hard setting plaster that is used to bond plasterboard to brick or block walls when dry lining.  The Goldband looks a bit like a one coat plaster but it appears you can only put it on 10mm thick.

You could go with your original idea and use the Fix and Finish to bond plasterboard into the gap then use the same stuff to fill round all the gaps. Otherwise you could go to a builders merchant, tell them what you need to do and get them to advise you which plaster to use.

As for internal corners, there are Square edged trowels designed to finish the joint in one pass but an easier option may be to plaster one wall first, let it harden, and then plaster the other wall.
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2013, 10:57pm by woodsmith »  
IP Logged

russellmre
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2013, 8:00am

thanks for that! I'm sure there must be an equivalent product to undercoat plaster - I'll ask the DIY shop as you suggest. Another thing, what's the best way to ensure there's a smooth joint around the edges of the patch - should I use scrim tape like with plasterboard?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2013, 8:32am

It's normally difficult to use scrim round a patch, but if you can put some in then it would help to stop it cracking, but if it isn't deep enough the pattern will telegraph to the surface.

It's also very difficult to blend the edges so that you get an invisible join. You may well find it easier to use a fine filler, Polyfilla in the UK, to go over the edges once you have finished the main plastering. This sands easily and has very fine particles compared to ordinary plasters.

IP Logged

russellmre
Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2013, 10:37am

Hi, thanks for your help with this. I've done a bit of research and asked around and it seems that the Knauf Goldband is the standard product here. It says up to 10 mm per layer but it can be applied in more than one layer. There's also another product called MP75 which is for machine plastering but can also be applied by hand - it's a bit finer but only comes in 25 kg sacks, whereas the Goldband comes in 4 kg and 10 kg bags as well.
I was recommended to use the Goldband and if necessary to finish of with some finer plaster such as the kind used to fill in the joints between plasterboards (Knauf Jointfiller). Does that sound OK?

Also apparently after the first layer you have to go over the surface with a "plasterer's comb" to put grooves in it enabling better adhesion of the second layer, would a serrated spatula with 4mm teeth of the type used to spread glue do for this purpose?

Tried to find PVA sealant but couldn't find an equivalent product - I was told it's not necessary provided the wall is dry. Do I have to apply anything to ensure that the plaster sticks well to the wall? or just apply straight to the brick surface?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2013, 1:23pm

The surface just needs keying to give a bit more grip so anything that lightly scores the surface will do. Do it when the plaster has hardened but not completely cured.

PVA is used to modify the suction of a dry surface, you may not need to bother with your brick wall, plasterers round here seem to use it all the time just to be on the safe side I think. I would at least wet the wall thoroughly to stop it drying out too fast.

Joint filler is a very fine plaster and will leave a smooth surface but it is a bit more difficult to use than something like Polyfilla. It is also very hard and more difficult to sand so try and get as good a finish as you can whilst it is still workable.

IP Logged

russellmre
Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2013, 1:27pm

could I use the polyfilla as a thin final layer?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2013, 5:29pm

Quote:
could I use the polyfilla as a thin final layer?

Yes, just make sure it has completely dried hard before sanding it.

IP Logged

russellmre
Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2013, 2:56pm

found a product for preparing the wall, Knauf Betocontact, it is recommended for concrete (and I guess brick walls too) before applying plaster to ensure that it sticks properly

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

russellmre
Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2013, 7:44am

just wanted to say thank you for your help - I finally got round to it and once I got the hang of it it was fine! thanks so much for taking the time to answer all those questions

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2013, 10:21pm

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how you got on, glad it went well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print