Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 28th, 2024, 11:21pm
Quote: Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heat Pumps - What do you think? (Read 2704 times)
mountainman
GDPR opt-out

Heat Pumps - What do you think?
Sep 20th, 2013, 9:49am

Hi guys, reasonably new here and just wanted to get your opinions on these: http://www.bsw-bs.co.uk/latest-news/2013/06/heat-pumps-save-you-money/

I've been doing abit of research and they look pretty promising!
Let me know what you think?  Grin

Cheers

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Heat Pumps - What do you think?
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2013, 11:55am

if you have mains gas you are already 300% more efficient as a kw off gas is around 1/3 the price off a unit off electricity
the savings with gas can be minimal and a badly specked or badly set up system will cost you more indeed your energy bill can double or triple if you get it wrong Undecided Undecided

and because electricity prices follow gas up rising gas prices do not mean any real savings
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2013, 11:57am by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2013, 7:52pm

What Big_all said. There is a good comparison site here...

http://www.nottenergy.com/energy_cost_comparison

The most important figures in their table are those in the column labelled "Pence per kWh (after boiler efficiency)". This takes into account the efficiency of a gas boiler or the COP of a heat pump.

They suggest that as of July 2013 mains gas is slightly cheaper than an ASHP but slightly more expensive than a GSHP.

I once asked them about the assumptions they made in compiling the data and they told me that the figures for a heat pump also assumed it was connected to a low temperature heating system (eg Under Floor Heating or oversize rads).

There is some evidence that heat pumps are not suitable as drop in replacements for a gas boiler, particularly in large badly/average insulated houses with small/standard size rads.

It's also very important to get the size of heat pump right. Many contain a booster coil (COP =1) which is used when it's very cold outside. If the heat pump is undersize then the booster coil is used a lot more and bills quickly rocket as that's a bit like having direct electric heating. So important to get a good installer to do the heat loss calculations.

Overall I reckon if you were building a new very well insulated house, with UFH then a ASHP/GSHP would be worth considering. If you live in an ordinary house built say 15 years ago I would probably stick with mains gas or oil (kerosene) if mains gas isn't available. It might be a different matter if you also had a large solar PV array.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2013, 1:51am