Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 27th, 2024, 5:40pm
Quote: My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Damp proof walls in mid terrace (Read 4075 times)
quintain1
GDPR opt-out

Damp proof walls in mid terrace
Oct 12th, 2013, 2:06pm

Hi
Can any one advise on damp proofing walls for a small 1890s (ish) mid terrace home with adjoining properties at (very close) to a level run. Property is 3 storey including attic room

The front and rear walls are rubble filled sandstone inner & outer with a general thickness of 18".
The party walls at this moment are unknown but I consider either 12" or so sandstone or brick built.

It is the party walls my question  is mainly directed at, obviously I do not want to cause any damage to other properties; however any and all advice including front, rear & party walls treatment will be welcome.

My own thoughts at this time is to ignore any injection of damp proofing liquid and simply remove existing wall plaster on all ground floor walls to about waist height and replace it with a sand cement with waterproofing agent mix. I would use rotproof skirting and carefully examine door frames and lower part of timber staircase.

Thank you in anticipation of any answers/advice.

P.S. I will ask a question on building an attic room dormer window in a new post.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Damp proof walls in mid terrace
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2013, 7:58am

Are your walls damp or are you trying to pre-empt a problem? We have rubble filled walls and any sort of injected damp proofing is useless. I am not sure if using a damp proof additive alone would guarantee a dry wall, perhaps Wolf would know more if he sees this post.

Rather than try to seal the damp in you may be better off using a lime plaster and breathable paint. If you did want to use damp-proofed cement I would remove all the plaster from the wall, give it a thin skim of cement with a damp proof additive and then either dot and dab insulation backed plasterboard or build a stud wall set just off the existing wall. This loses a bit of the room but will make the room a whole lot warmer too and ensure a dry wall.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2013, 8:00am by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Rodie151
Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2013, 4:42pm

Have a look at the Schrijver System Spam removed, it doesn't involve injecting liquid and it might provide a solution to the terrace situation.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13
For This Post: 0

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2013, 9:39pm

Quote:
Have a look at the Schrijver System Spam removed, it doesn't involve injecting liquid and it might provide a solution to the terrace situation.

Do not look at this system.  It has a bad press and has been rebranded at least once.

Synthaprufe.....liberal coating up to about 4ft...then while still wet throw kiln dried sand (available in sealed bags from the likes of B&Q) to provide a key for replastering.  Job done.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print