Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 1:58pm
Quote: Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spur for tumble dryer (Read 2426 times)
Narf
GDPR opt-out

Spur for tumble dryer
Feb 27th, 2014, 3:32pm

Currently, my tumble dryer is the opposite end of the kitchen to the washing machine as it's the only socket available not requiring an extension lead (we are woefully lacking enough sockets). I've decided enough is enough and want to stack the dryer on top of the washing machine.
The problem is, that end of the room is a double socket with an extension lead powering the freezer and fridge freezer and another extension lead with the washing machine, dishwasher, deep fat fryer and a radio running off it - nowhere for the dryer to go.
Ideally, I would like to run a spur off the existing socket to another one right next to it...
i) is that safe/possible?
ii) would be best to put in a single socket for the dryer only, or a double socket so the washing machine doesn't have to be on an extension lead or is there a better solution
iii) what cable should I use?

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Spur for tumble dryer
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2014, 8:08pm

If the socket is part of the ring final circuit at the moment, then you can spur once from it to a second single or double socket, typically using 2.5mm² Flat Twin & Earth cable.

You would be better to extend the ring, and fitting a couple double sockets for the appliances.

Ideally, large appliances are meant to be spread equally around the ring, not all bunched in one location.  Having a second circuit for some of these appliances would not be a bad thing - If you have the tumble drier on, the washing machine, and then start the dishwasher, there is a good chance the circuit will be overloaded, and trip the MCB or blow the fuse.

Photos?

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print