Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 12th, 2024, 11:18pm
Quote: Ok, so what's the speed of dark?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Garage Inspection Pit . Filling with water (Read 2292 times)
markcaughey
GDPR opt-out

Garage Inspection Pit . Filling with water
Jun 17th, 2014, 3:40pm

New to this site would really appreciate some advice on a problem I'm having with my garage.  

Im having a problem with my garage inspection pitt as the title states.  when the garage was built the 5ft pitt was dug out and there has basically been water in it ever since.  I have emptied it countless times but no matter how dry the weather is within 5 minuets it has filled back up again.  
The water seems to go to around 4 inch no higher so i have been told that it will just be the water level in my area.  

I never use this pit and never will it was originally put in by my dad who used it for working on trucks.

The main problem this causes me is the damp and condensation it creates in the winter months, literally everything is wet !  

My plan is to fill it in with around 15 inch of dirt, stones, sand whatever, hopefully taking it above the water level. I know that completely filling it would be better but at 5ft deep and 6 meter long its going to take a lot to fill it !

Any better ideas or advice would be much appreciated also what would be the best most cost effective way to fill this in ?

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Garage Inspection Pit . Filling with water
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2014, 10:15pm

can you please advise us on what the construction of the pit is...

i.e: brick sides on concrete base... etc etc:

and about how deep is the main floor slab!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

markcaughey
Re: Garage Inspection Pit . Filling with water
Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2014, 10:30pm

TIMBA-WOLF wrote on Jun 18th, 2014, 10:15pm:
can you please advise us on what the construction of the pit is...

i.e: brick sides on concrete base... etc etc:

and about how deep is the main floor slab!

Concrete floor.  brick sides and 5.5ft deep. 2.2ft wide.  

I have actually started filling in the pit today.  Filling it in with rubble/subsoil and then going to put type 1 scalpings in the last 6 inch. then concrete over the last of it.  Using my wacker at every stage. I'm not going to put the concrete over straight away i will continue to keep wacking it over the next few months then concrete it to try and make sure it doesn't sink over time.  

Having read through the web that seems to have been the solution for people suffering the same problem of the damp and condensation.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print