Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 30th, 2024, 9:13am
Quote: The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"porch" foundations (Read 1805 times)
completenovice
GDPR opt-out

"porch" foundations
Aug 19th, 2014, 9:14pm

Hi.

I need to replace a "porch" on an early 70s house.

House is detached, porch and garage are both attached to one side and share a flat roof. The porch extends 4' beyond the outer leaf of the house and is 5-6' wide. Door + thin board panel on the main shallow face, long face is glazed at top and had lower glazed half replaced with similar panel a long time ago. Final shallow face is into the garage. Frames are timber, glass single glazed, door a bog standard XL type timber, under a boxed dropped ceiling. All of this rests on 3 courses of brick. The mortar is worn out and/or missing on the bricks and frankly many of the bricks I think need replacing.

New porch will be the same layout but current materials. So refresh the bricks and sit either a composite or proper solid wood door sufficient for part L + DG on top. All of which will obviously be considerably heavier than the current porch.

So the foundation. Or lack of. Where the concrete of the drive doesn't quite meet up with the brickwork it is clear that underneath those bricks are simply grey blocks. I can't be sure what type of block but they follow a different line than the line of the bricks and aren't mortared to the bricks.

To carry the weight of the new porch what sort of foundation would I need, either legally or technically please?

Any advice appreciated  Wink

IP Logged

completenovice
GDPR opt-out

Re: "porch" foundations
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2014, 8:19am

When I've looked again I'm wondering whether the grey bricks the proch is on are really at muhc of a different angle to the porch. Coul dbe just an effect of the concrete coming to the face of the wall at one end but being away from the wall at the other. Anyway, here are some images showing the wall. Last one shows the condition of the mortar/bricks on the front face. Rest are on the side face.
completenoviceporch1completenoviceporch2completenoviceporch3completenoviceporch4

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print