Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 1st, 2024, 4:44pm
Quote: A rock --> me <-- A hard place

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Detection of ceiling load bearing beam (Read 1464 times)
Fholler
GDPR opt-out

Detection of ceiling load bearing beam
Aug 26th, 2014, 6:11pm

Hi
2 years ago we knocked a stud wall between our kitchen and living room areas to open up the space. Kitchen is about 3m long and living room 6m. We occupy the ground floor of a 3-storey Victorian converted house.
The builders said at that time that they had definitely seen a girder or joist (not sure if there is a difference) above the ceiling and halfway down the length of the living room and therefore we didn't need a new one. This didn't surprise me as the living room was extended about 60 years ago like all other houses on the streets so they must have added some sort of reinforcement at that time.
However, rather stupidly I did not check this for myself and relied on the honesty of the builders. The house hasn't moved since, but it frustrates me more and more not to know for sure. Is there a way to know for sure if there is a load bearing beam above the ceiling without making a hole in the ceiling?
Many thanks
Fholler

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Detection of ceiling load bearing beam
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2014, 11:11am

You could try using a metal detector and see if it shows a large piece of metal. Otherwise you could use a hole cutter to cut a hole in the ceiling, about 50mm diameter would be enough, once you have had a peer through, the piece you cut out with the cutter can be fixed back in place with Polyfilla.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print