Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:15am
Quote: I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New rad not heating up properly (Read 1554 times)
Zac

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

New rad not heating up properly
Nov 18th, 2014, 2:57pm

I've just put a new rad in my bathroom and I've got a couple of problems.

Number 1. I teed off the 22mm flow at a point about 6 inches before the manifold for all the other rads, but for some reason the new rad is slower to heat up and even after an hour the top corner of the rad, above the exit valve, is still not fully hot whereas all the other rads are red hot. Both the inlet and outlet pipes to the rad are red hot.

The rad inlet valve is less than 4 foot from the tee. The tee is a 22 to 15mm reducing tee, then I've got about 3 inches of 15mm copper pipe and then a 15 x 8mm reducer and then the 8mm pipe to the rad.

Number 2. I've got a slight leak at the outlet port of the rad where the valve screws into it. I made the mistake (I think) of not undoing this part of the valve and screwing it into the port before I put the rad on the wall so, once the rad was on the wall I was turning the whole of the valve to get it screwed into the outlet port. I did put ptfe on the valve connection but when everything was connected up there was a slight leak. I kept tightening it up a quarter turn at a time but it wasn't doing any good and I've now 'rounded' a couple of corners of the nut and think I might have stripped the thread. Could I have knackered the thread on the rad or would the thread on the valve end go first?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: New rad not heating up properly
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2014, 4:52pm

I'm not a plumber but...

I assume you have bled all the air out of the new rad?

You described how you connected the flow but what about the return?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print