Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 16th, 2024, 5:53am
Quote: If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Render question (Read 2396 times)
pjs2k
GDPR opt-out

Render question
Sep 30th, 2015, 1:04pm

Hi,
Wondering if anyone could assist with a question on rendering. I have recently had work done - some new external walls and and an extension.
The external wall render looks like it has a problem - you can almost see the pattern of the block work underneath.
In addition the walls have staining and marks already. I have other external render done previously around 8 years ago and it is fine.
The back extension wall also shows this blocking effect. There is a side extension wall and this seems fine.
The render seems to be of the correct depth as there are beads on the walls.
I attach a couple of pics which hopefully show the issue.
render-1render-2Image 3
Image 4
I am not a builder and this is my first post so if you need more info let me know! cheers paul.
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2015, 7:29am by Lectrician »  

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Render question
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2015, 1:24pm

The joints quite often show because they hold more water, leave it to dry properly and depending what they used give it a coat of paint if it's still a problem

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

pjs2k
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2015, 6:52pm

Thanks for the quick response.
The render has been on some time now say 3 plus months.
Seems strange that one outer wall of the building is fine but others show those imperfections.
I can paint the driveway external walls but cannot do the back of the house [see windows pic] as then i would have to paint the whole house to match and want to avoid that.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2015, 11:16pm

Doesn't look quite dry in the pics, although one would expect it to be somewhere near dry after that time, which way are the walls facing the good and bad. North, south etc, has there been any driving rain on the walls.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

pjs2k
Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2015, 12:16pm

Good points. I attached new pics. One shows the side entrance. The house wall is absolutely fine. The retaining wall has blocking and staining. Its not exposed at all.
The other pic shows back of extension. South facing. The lower half is fine the top half not. The bottom half was plastered first so has had longer to dry and was obviously a different batch of plaster.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print