Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 18th, 2024, 3:55pm
Quote: If there is a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Planning Permission - Workshop (Read 2393 times)
timPgoodwin
GDPR opt-out

Planning Permission - Workshop
Oct 26th, 2015, 6:04pm

Hello,

I have bought a property with a 13' X 13' wooden workshop attached to the house - Would I need planning permission to knock down the existing wooden workshop and build to the same spec (dimensions) with brick as apposed to wood?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Planning Permission - Workshop
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2015, 6:23am

I believe so, but your local planning will offer free advice.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2015, 2:24pm

When was the workshop built?

If the workshop is attached to the house it's probably classed as an extension not an outbuilding. If it's 13 foot deep that's more than the 3 meters allowed for an extension to a semi or 4 meters for an extension to a detached house. See guidance on what can be built these days without needing PP here.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/

In short there might be several reasons why the workshop needed PP when it was built. If so did they get it? Find out.  

Lets suppose it needed PP but they didn't get it. If the workshop/extension is more than 4 years old (or 10 years see below) the council cannot take enforcement action. To make it all legal you could apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development on the grounds that enforcement action can no longer be taken and they could not refuse it. If less than 4/10 years old you may have to apply for retrospective planning permission which could be refused.

I say 10 years (rather than 4 years) because it's not clear if the workshop is classed as "residential use", "incidental to the dwelling" or "business use". In cases where there has been an unlawful "change of use" (eg to business use) they have 10 years to issue enforce. If no change of use then they only have 4 years to enforce.

Normally you don't need planning permission for "maintenance" or "repairs" but you do for a knock down and rebuild. This applies even if your house burns down. Once you knock the workshop down it no longer exists and there is a danger the planners will say the new extension has to be lawful in it's own right. They may insist you apply for planning permission or limit you to what you can build under Permitted Development Rights which could be smaller or none at all.

I think I would make sure the existing workshop/extension is legal before you do anything. Get that sorted and then ask the planners if you need PP or a CLD to replace it.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2016, 4:11pm

Lectrician wrote on Oct 27th, 2015, 6:23am:
I believe so, but your local planning will offer free advice.

Not round our way, they don't !

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print