Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 24th, 2024, 10:40pm
Quote: The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Think I may have been done (Read 3379 times)
Doronron
GDPR opt-out

Think I may have been done
Jan 25th, 2016, 8:37pm

Hi there

I don't want to break any rules here so will ask my question first.  

I have had some roofing work done, and the charge seems way too much.  Its very straight forward stuff so was wondering if I give details would anyone be able to give me an opinion.  I realise it would only be an opinion and nothing else.

I may have been taken advantage of, but not sure.

Many thanks

IP Logged

Doronron
GDPR opt-out

Re: Think I may have been done
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2016, 7:57am

Ok, no replies, so I'll be more specific. I have a 2 up 2 down mid terrace property.  I've had chimney flashing and soakers replaced on my side of the chimney, could someone please give me a rough ball park figure for that?  

If it will be of consequence, I am in Yorkshire.

Many thanks.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2016, 10:26am

It's very difficult impossible to say with any accuracy but how many workers and how long did it take them? Did they use scaffolding?

If they have done a good job and you have already paid them it's a bit of a moot point anyway. However you may have done well to get the job done at all. Sucessive governments have discouraged young people from becoming tradesmen and now there is such a shortage that it can be very difficult to to anyone to take on a small job like this.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7
For This Post: 0

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2016, 4:13pm

I agree with Woodsmith, there are too many imponderables to answer with any certainty.

It's not in itself a difficult or time-consuming job, about half a day's work for a "simple" replacement, but much will depend on what's found when you're up there.

And as said, it depends on whether the job was done the "cheap" way with a ladder to the eaves and a cat-ladder to the ridge...

http://www.midlandladders.com/products/Lyte_Double_3_0m_Extending_Trade_Roof_Lad...

...or (to keep Health & Safety happy) the expensive way with scaffolding.

Even if it was just a half day's job, I doubt many guys would bother turning out without charging for a full day to cover travel and the fact that it's spoiled a full day's job somewhere else.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print