Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:57am
Quote: Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Damp wall after leak (Read 2328 times)
TrevorP

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Damp wall after leak
Apr 14th, 2016, 10:19am

We have had a damp patch about 600mm high from floor, for while, and found a leaking joint in soil stack, this has now been repaired, but my question is would the plaster need to be removed, and re-plastered, or would the plaster be ok once dried out.
Wall looks like thermolite brick, undercoat & top plaster.
Thanks

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Damp wall after leak
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2016, 4:04pm

I'd let it completely dry out, which may take a while, and then look at the plaster. If it been wet too long it will have made the plaster soft, in which case it will need removing down to sound material. If you are lucky and the plaster is sound and hard then I would give it a coat of stain block before re-painting. I usually paint the whole wall with the stain block rather than just the patch as it can sometimes show through the paint finish as a patch.

IP Logged

TrevorP

Ask The Trades

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2016, 4:17pm

OK, well the wall could have been damp for quite awhile, but only found when we moved in recently. I think my best bet would be remove plaster, leave a dehumidifier on for few days and then re-plaster. Or would the wall need longer to dry out after plaster removed?
Thanks for input

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2016, 5:51pm

I'm not sure that chipping the plaster away will speed up the drying process much, but clearing away all the lose dust and debris and making sure there is a good air flow round the patch definitely will.

If you have access to a voltmeter, (a very cheap simple one will do), set it on ohms and stick the pins in the wall. You should get infinite resistance, try it on a dry wall if in doubt.
If you get a voltmeter now you can monitor the wall and see how the resistance increases as the wall dries out. Once you get to a more or less infinite reading you are set to go.

Cheaper option to test the wall is to seal some clear cling film or polythene up against the wall overnight, if you have no condensation behind it then the wall has normally dried out.

IP Logged

TrevorP

Ask The Trades

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2016, 7:36pm

Thanks, I think patience is the answer, will give it awhile, and keep checking with the multimeter, thanks for help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print