Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:01pm
Quote: I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Levelling Compound (Read 1384 times)
Mrshd
GDPR opt-out

Levelling Compound
Jul 13th, 2016, 8:53pm

Hi, I've taken up some tiles in my porch way, I have a 21 x 17 inch (2inch deep) hole that needs to be filled. Can I use levelling compound to do this? Taking up the tiles has left behind adhesive do I need to get rid of that before I use compound? Also what would be the best compound to use? Tia

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Levelling Compound
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2016, 10:07am

You could use levelling compound as long as you mixed sand with it, there will be instructions on the bag, but you could possibly just use sand and cement which would be cheaper. It all depends on what sort of adhesive is on the floor and what flooring you are planning to lay as to weather it's worth using levelling compound or not.

If the adhesive is cement based I would knock off any large bits and remove anything lose, fill the deep hole with either sand and cement or compound and sand, let that go off then put compound over the whole floor to level and smooth it off.

If the adhesive is rubber based you would need to remove it before filling and screeding.

Self levelling compounds are all very similar, I just use whichever the builders merchant has in stock.
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2016, 10:09am by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print