Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 12:24pm
Quote: There are two kinds of pedestrians: the quick and the dead.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bi-fold Doors in New build (Read 2494 times)
Sandy

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Bi-fold Doors in New build
Dec 6th, 2016, 1:50pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a new build house and have been round a few developments nearby. I'm happy with the pro's & con's of new builds vs renovation of an existing building, but one thing that I keep noticing is the seemingly "leaky" patio windows.

All of the 6 houses that I've visited have bi-fold patio doors from either the kitchen and/or dining area to the outside. All the houses are built on concrete foundations and have solid flooring to the ground floor, so I was expecting all the walls and floors to be to the highest thermal efficiency rating and draft-proof. However, on all the bi-fold doors I've noticed that at the hinged sides/joints especially at the top, the draft and air flow is quite significant. Even though it's not windy outside, there is definitely a flow of cold air (for which naturally occurs between high and low pressure environments), but more than I think I'm happy with right now.

I know that some DG units have built in trickle vents for a minimal air flow and that in some properties a certain degree of air flow is needed to prevent mould spores etc, but is it normal for these bi-fold doors to "leak" at the joints between the doors at the top, especially in a new build?

Thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Re: Bi-fold Doors in New build
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2016, 5:39pm

Do they have any insulation strips down the doors?  If not then they should !

And at top and bottom.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2016, 8:15am

Modern doors shouldn't have draughts and it sounds like they have left the seals out as Londonman suggests. If you look down the door frame there will be one or two slots for a compressible seal. Other option is the door is badly fitted or adjusted so it doesn't press up against the seal. Last option is the doors are very poor and badly made.

IP Logged

Sandy

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2016, 12:06pm

Thanks for the replies.

Without taking a closer look, I honestly couldn't say if there's a seal in place or not. However, my immediate thought when I noticed it was that there was something missing, so maybe it's been deliberately left off until the show-home is sold and someone moves in??

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2016, 1:34pm

Sandy wrote on Dec 7th, 2016, 12:06pm:
Thanks for the replies.

Without taking a closer look, I honestly couldn't say if there's a seal in place or not. However, my immediate thought when I noticed it was that there was something missing, so maybe it's been deliberately left off until the show-home is sold and someone moves in??

I can't imagine a good reason to leave these seals out

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print