Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 13th, 2024, 10:43pm
Quote: A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mock Tudor house front repairs (Read 13677 times)
DJM

Don't buy a run down house
- it's not cheaper

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Mock Tudor house front repairs
Apr 19th, 2004, 4:56pm

Thought it was about time I sorted the front of the house out. Had a look and some work is required. Frontage is fairly standard mock tudor, but a bit run down.

1) There are places where the render has come away and the brick work below is becoming visible. What type of render should I use to repair with?

2) At the joints of the mock tudor wood and the render, I was intending to make a gradient to allow water to deflect from behind wood - is this a good idea?

3) A lot of the fake wooden pegs have fallen out and been lost - where can I buy new ones?

4) Assume once render repaired I should apply stabilising soloution and then paint.

5) Any recommendations for exterior paint and wood protection?

Thanks for your help.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Re: Mock Tudor house front repairs
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2004, 11:24pm

I can't help with the rest but you didn't say what wood the 'fake' pegs were made from.
You could easily make some yourself the same way that new oak pegs are made.
Cut (or get cut) a hole the same size as the pegs in a piece of steel then get lengths of timber with a slight taper to go into the hole & hammer through.
The hole in the steel becomes a die & the pegs should all come out the same size.
I've seen angle iron used as the die & held in a machinists vice.
My late father in law used something similar to make plugs instead of buying rawlplugs to screw into walls.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

DJM

- it's not cheaper

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2004, 10:11am

thanks for the response about the pegs. I can make them, but as they are false I thought cheap shed ones would do and save me some time.

Had hoped to get a few more replies and advice before I started, but hey ho, that's life.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:48am

DJM,

1) your render is probably sand cement ratio 6:1, best to chip a bit off and take it round to your local builders merchant so they can advise.

2) Sounds good.

3) you can buy dowel from the sheds or possibly the builders merchant, give it a soak in wood preserver and let it dry thoroughly as these things are all end grain and rot easily.

4) yes

5) without seeing what you have already, difficult to advise. Do you have a Dixons paint merchant near you they can help.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2004, 2:23am

It gets me with these mock Tudor houses.
They paint the render white & the wood black.
The originals were unpainted oak with wattle & daub walls made from fresh cow dung & straw & that's definitely not white although a friend once asked why you never see white dog poo any more.  Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

DJM

- it's not cheaper

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2004, 12:37pm

Thanks for the replies.

Just to make life interesting, the false pegs are square ended fitting into a round hole. So not quite as simple as plain dowel. Might pop down to Champions and see what they will charge to knock some up.

Agree about the colours mostly Dewy, but over time the cow dung and straw get sun bleached and do turn a pale colour. And some of the houses had the timbers tarred as protection. Hence the Black and white. The sort of cream and honey is nicer, but a real non starter in a mock tudor semi lol.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Kesh
Trade Member

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2004, 10:29pm

So a square peg does fit in a round hole!! Wink

Uhh... I must have forgot something else!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2004, 11:04pm

Where I grew up was a well known Tudor thatched cottage. It was seen by everyone with a TV because the BBC regularly showed it being thatched during their interludes. My father in law (a chippie) did a lot of work modernising the inside of this large cottage for his friend Fred who had lived there all his life. On the opposite side of the road a new RC church was built & one day they had a raging bonfire to get rid of lots of rubbish. The air was full of embers blowing in the wind. This caught the thatch & nothing could save the cottage. When blamed for the conflagration the Church proclaimed it an 'act of God' which let them off the hook. Fire insurance was too costly then. Nowadays only a rich person is likely to live in such a house with it's own orchard but 40 years ago such homes were used by the poorer people because most liked modern homes & not 400 year old firetraps. I wish I still had the indian ink drawing I did of the cottage while waiting for the bus to school a few years before.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bigjules

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - May 28th, 2004, 9:18am

For square top Tudor pellets in either hardwood or softwood contact .
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2014, 10:57am by thescruff »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billybuoy
Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2014, 5:09pm

At long last discovered who make the tudor pegs or pellets to replace lost or broken ones. Cherry Woodworkers Ltd Uxbridge.

Link removed Mod
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2014, 9:55am by thescruff »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print