Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 2nd, 2024, 5:00pm
Quote: How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on conservatory building regs (Read 3285 times)
jimmyjimmyjam
GDPR opt-out

Question on conservatory building regs
Jul 15th, 2014, 4:26pm

Hi there, This is my first post so please forgive me in advance if I've not posted correctly or if I've supplied insufficient info etc.

I have a question on building regs for a conservatory.

Given the building regs have changed on time, if I replace / refurb an old conservatory that complied with old building reg exemptions, do I need to comply with the new exemptions or can I get away with the meeting the old ones?

As background info:

12 months ago we bought a victorian terrace house with a small-ish (2 metres x 3.5 metres) conservatory at the rear of the property.

We believe the original conservatory (uPVC frame & plastic roof) was built in 2000 / 2001.

Subsequent to moving in (and having a rather chilly winter), we put in a new conservatory (aluminium frame, thermally efficient glass etc).

The conservatory is NOT separated from the main house via an external-quality door, meaning it doesn't meet the CURRENT criteria to be building regs exempt.

However it is my understanding that it was compliant when it was originally built (the original 2000 building regs exemptions made no stipulation about conservatories needing to be separated from the main house by a door).

So do I need building regs (or need to fit internal doors) for the new conservatory, or am I OK given my conservatory was technically originally built in 2001?

Just to be clear, I'm not necessarily looking to cut corners or get away with shoddy work. I would just be quite annoyed if I had to fit ugly interior doors to a structure that is infinitely better than what was in place previously (just because the definition of a "conservatory" has changed).

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Question on conservatory building regs
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2014, 5:50pm

This is a tricky one, and I would be interested in what others think but my take on this is that you have a bit of a problem here.

I built a couple of conservatories in the 90s, when they needed building permission, and from what I remember the BCO insisted they had exterior doors between the conservatory and the dwelling. So I'm not sure if your old conservatory contravened regs? Your problem now, amongst other things, is meeting thermal insulation regulations. I doubt that a conservatory would meet regs, I'm currently trying to get a small kitchen extension through and the BCO has refused it on the grounds that the perfectly normal sized window is too big for the floor area.

My advice would be to work out how you could fit an exterior door between the house and conservatory; a bifold that you could fold back out of the way semi permanently may be an option, before you contact building control as they may well insist that you fit a door, or remove the conservatory (and then fit a door).

There are some regulations which allow you to not comply with current regs, if what you are doing is an improvement on what you had, but they certainly don't include windows in this, so I would be surprised if they allowed this with a sun room.

The trouble is that of you don't get this sorted you may have a problem if you come to sell the house and the solicitor/surveyor picks it up.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2014, 1:53am

if your built its a new structure that needs to comply with present regs

you can only repair and keep as is
anything that is different in any material way cannot be a repair so a new build
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2014, 1:59am by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2014, 9:10am

As it's a small conservatory there is a slim chance it may comply without an external grade door between it and the main house.

Consider the conservatory and the room it's connected to as one large "room".... Is the total area of glass (conservatory and other windows) in that room more or less than 25% of the total floor area?  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print