Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:07am
Quote: Peace is a period of cheating between two rounds of fighting - Ambrose Bierce

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SLIDING MITRE SAW (Read 4542 times)
KILLABEE

DEMOCRACY IS HYPOCRISY

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

SLIDING MITRE SAW
Apr 28th, 2004, 7:34pm

hELLO cHAPS

Hope you are all well. I am looking to buy a sliding mitre saw. Budget of upto £150. Had a look at a saw at Rutlands made by a company called Fox:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/F36200||mitre~saw~@c~@b|0|user|1...;

Has anyone had experience of this saw or recommend any others. I would say that although the saw is not going to be used for trade use it will have to withstand some serious DIY.

Also was wondering what's the difference between a compound mitre sawand a mitre saw?

Regards

m.A>n

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: SLIDING MITRE SAW
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2004, 8:10pm

[quote author=KILLABEE  link=1083177274/0#0 date=1083177274]Also was wondering what's the difference between a compound mitre sawand a mitre saw? [/quote]

As I understand it a compound mitre saw allows you to cut at 2 different angles at the same time - so you can rotate the sawblade away from vertical (so that the saw motor isn't horizontal to the table), as well as rotate the cutting angle of the blade to the reference plane (which means that the blade comes across at an angle different to 90 degrees).

A mitre saw would allow you to only change the angle of the blade relative to the reference plane (that is, cut the stock at 45 degrees or whatever - the blade would still be inclined at 90 degrees to the table).

Sorry if that sounds gobbledegook - I've been on the wine with my tea tonight.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Re: SLIDING MITRE SAW
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2004, 8:52pm

Fox are making inroads into the serious DIY market. Their table saw has a cast iron table & is a lot cheaper than others. As a result Sheppach of Germany are changing their table saws to cast iron (with a price increase) with the new TS2500 already changed & the TS2000 to follow soon. I know a lot of amateur woodworkers are waiting to see how good the Fox stands up both in use & quality.
Most of the use will be with the saw set at 45° for mitres but being able to change the saw head to 45° allows bevel cuts. Some saws are able to bevel in both directions so you don't have to turn the wood to get the bevel on the opposite end but don't be put off if that one can't. Many high priced mitre saw can't either. That 75 x 290 depth & width of cut is far more than many are capable of although 305 (1 foot) might be better. Wink
A post on the UK workshop forum recommends the Fox mitre saw as opposed to many of the other cheap saws for accuracy & quality.
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print