Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:01pm
Quote: My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tanalised timber (Read 9805 times)
Glocko

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Tanalised timber
Jun 19th, 2004, 4:04pm

What is the life expectancy of tanalised timber used to build a garden workshop?
I know you can prolong the life by treating it with wood care stuff but what about 4x3 posts concreted in, how long before the underground part starts to rot?

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

Dewy
Re: Tanalised timber
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2004, 4:23pm

It's usually expected to last up to 25 years.
I've always used treated timber and given the post ends 2 or 3 coats where they will be in contact with the soil & left them soaking in an old oven tin full of the preservative overnight to soak up more & increase life expectancy.

Timber rots when in contact with the ground and also rots in concrete because the moisture can't drain away.
The latest idea is to dig the hole deeper then put gravel at the bottom of the hole, put the post in and add a bit more gravel so the end of the post can drain then fill to just above soil level with concrete and slope the concrete so rain runs away instead of into the post.
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2004, 3:49am by Dewy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Kesh
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2004, 1:20am

As an extra precaution, you could always paint the section to be buried with bitumastic paint afterwards.
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2004, 1:21am by Kesh »  

Uhh... I must have forgot something else!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2004, 9:00am

You would be better off not burrying the wood in the ground but build some brick piers and rest the structure on them. It will need some restraining straps, but this is the way to go if you want it to last any length of time.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print