Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 8:25am
Quote: A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on - Samuel Goldwyn

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Garden structures (Read 2974 times)
Mattheu

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Garden structures
Aug 3rd, 2004, 10:49am

Hi all,

The only regs in the rear  garden (in my area) that I'm aware of, is that my fencing should be no more than 2m high.

I want to build a Pergoda/Pergola? , four uprights, upper front and rear supports , with front to back joists ( as a shade cover and simialr instyle to  a car port ).  4" posts, 4or 6x2 upper timber.

The Questions ! What height may this be constructed, without allowing the neighbours cause to complain.
Qu 2, Any advice on the timber to use, I don't mind paying more to get 'straighter' timber ( most merchants locally stock 50% twisted posts and joists.  
Qu 3, are there problems in using palnned rather then rough/ country cut outside?

It is meant to look 'japanese' not west country, that is why I would prefer treated smoth timber.
At the mo, I want it to be 7' 9" thats 7' from ground to under the cross members, is that okay?
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:09am by Mattheu »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Garden structures
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2004, 8:01am

Hi Mattheu, welcome to the forum. I can't see that you will have any problems with Planning for a pergola but it does depend exactly where it is sited ie right outside your neighbours window.

If in any doubt have a word with the Local Planning Office, they will probably have a leaflet detailing exactly what you are able to do without consent.

If you want this to last any length of time you are looking at using tanalised timber, this is normally rough sawn but if you go to a big garden centre Baileys for instance they sell planed tanalised timber for this purpose. Expensive though Sad

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2004, 11:19am

heeelllooo mattheu

i think more important is do a rough sketck
and run it by your neibours get there reaction
if you tell them about it and its a bit bigger than
they thought theyll probably go
blimmy it a bit bigger than i thought

dont tell them they will say

what the f*ck*n h*ll is that monstosity

of course there reaction me be  thats fine Grin Grin Grin Grin

or it could be ten times worse  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

now if your using pine for the white colour
forget it it will soon go very dark

why not go for treated timber and light colourd
outdoor treatment

good luck

big all
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2004, 11:20am by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2004, 4:10pm

I have a neighbour 4 doors away who has large structures covering the whole back garden apart from a path down the middle to reach them. He breeds and races pigeons. Apparently he was exempt from any planning because they are used exclusively for nesting.
Each side of the garden has 40' long 'lofts'
With my garden being on their circular flight path I have been unable to use a washing line ever since he moved into the house. Many are in the same boat. We all have to use tumble driers throughout the year or endup with unwanted stains. Sad
It's only an idea but say you are making it with a couple of holes in the side as a japanese dove cote. Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Mattheu

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2004, 6:30pm

Thanks for the replys and I will ring local planning to check.
As for the neighbours, its only one that it would bother and he's caused trouble in the past, the fence that the pergoda will be next to is 7 foot tall (5 inches over regs), this pi**ed him of, and he said I should have been neighbourly and asked him.  Well thats fine, but, the fence doesn't border his garden, we are separated by a 3 foot path.  So I 'politely' reminded him that his camper van weighs in excess of 1.75 tonnes ( local covenant) and that even if they did allow them on the front drive (which they don't!) his was over 4 tonnes, and he'd never asked me before he'd bought it, now he does't talk to me!!
Thats why I'm finding out the regs, still not gonna tell him though, I want him to have a nice supprise.
Its to shade Japanese Maples/acers, out of interest

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print