Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 3:17pm
Quote: A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wall unit fixing (Read 15662 times)
Raptor
GDPR opt-out

Wall unit fixing
Sep 13th, 2004, 7:30pm

I am redoing our kitchen at the moment and the time is coming up to fit the new wall units,the (B&Q) units have adjustable brackets to mount them at the top whereas the old units had a corner bracket in each corner to fix them.Now while this seems like a good idea i don`t like the thought of 1000 mm wall units full of stuff hanging off a stud wall by 2 brackets,especially as i wont be able to fix to the studs with some of the brackets.Should i use a corner bracket in each bottom corner and fix that as well or (as well)fix a batten under the run of units to give peace of mind .I am a bit of a belt and braces sort of guy and tend to err on the safe side of things.Thanks in advance for any advice lads.                    

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Wall unit fixing
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2004, 9:07pm

There's nothing wrong with adding extra corner brackets, and indeed I'd be inclined to do so as well.

However, don't mark and drill the corner bracket mounts until you've put the cupboard up and levelled it using the adjustable mounts at the top. Once you've got the position right you can then mark/drill the lower corner brackets as you see fit.

And if you are concerned about the weight you could always add additional corner brackets at a midpoint in the cupboards as well.

Don't forget to use long screws and deep rawlplugs for hanging cupboards. You need to get into the brick of the wall, not just the plaster skim coat. And if it is a plasterboard wall you'll need proper plasterboard mounts.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2004, 7:54am

Raptor, your idea of fixing a batten below the unit does give it a lot more strength but I would still not be happy using plasterboard fixings.

No plasterboard fixing will hold a fully laden 1000mm wall unit. You need to fix a batten (you will need to put one at the bottom as well to keep the units level) along the wall securely fixed to the studs and screw into that.

Other option is to insert a decent sized blocks into the cavity of the wall to spread the load but this is more messy.

It is also possible to put a batten just above the unit and screw into that as it will be hidden by cornice but it is a lot more tricky to get a strong fixing this way, you would need to use brackets.

It does depend on the layout of the room.

I went to a house where the wall units had come down, what a mess. This owner made jam and had stored dozens of bags of sugar, together with enough jam to stock Sainsburys, and put it all in the wall units. They shovelled the mess out in wheelbarrows.

PS I didn't fit them, honest Grin

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2004, 5:57pm

If I have to fix to a stud wall I use these

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php?cPath=115_15&products_id=193&Name=Cabine...

They allow you to place your fixings where the studs are located. You will have to cut a small nick out of the cabinet sides so they go back flush to the wall.

another way is to remove a strip of plasterboard about 150mm wide (75mm either side of your bracket height) and replace it with 12mm ply ccrewed to the studs, this will allow you to place your brackets anywhere along the ply.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2004, 10:16pm

looks a bit like din rail that stuff

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

Raptor
Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2004, 10:47pm

Thanks for the replies lads .used metal heavy duty hollow wall anchors as well as putting a corner bracket in each bottom corner.seem to be fixed very securely indeed,might still put a batten underneath,got some1.5 by 1 inch pse today.Took longer to fit the first corner unit than i thought as the walls were way out. Got the pleasure of the worktops and the sink fitting to do this weekend,that only leaves the cornice ,the tiling,the extractor,the floor,and the painting.I thought it was gonna be a quick makeover but our lass keeps thinking of extra stuff.Will have to keep away from kitchen showrooms.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2004, 12:37am

I've always put a batten on the wall for a wall unit to rest on.
It makes sure the unit doesn't slip and keeps it horizontal.
I tend to use narrow architrave so it looks more like a feature.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2004, 8:01am

Jason, thanks for the link, I have the Woodfit catalogue but had not noticed the metal rail. I think it will solve a few problems for me in the future.

IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2004, 12:01pm

Yes it comes in handy, I always take a bit with me when fitting kitchens incase the walls are a bit ropy or a lime mortar joint is just where you want your line of fixings.

The steel is better than the aluminium one as the brackets slide on the steel but dig into the softer metal.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Raptor
Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2004, 11:05pm

Itried several trade places up here (S/land) to get a length of that rail,Howdens etc but no one keeps it.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2004, 5:23am

[quote author=woodsmith  link=1095100207/0#7 date=1095231684]Jason, thanks for the link, I have the Woodfit catalogue but had not noticed the metal rail. I think it will solve a few problems for me in the future. [/quote]

Looks good, but I just checked the price - £13.32 per rail, presumably plus VAT and shipping?

Might be worth it in the grand scheme of things, but it's an overhead to be carrying that stuff around for the occasional cabinet hanging job.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2004, 4:25pm

It's usually only an off cut left from another job. For the time saved and peace of mind the price isn't bad (woodfit prices include vat & delivery) no more than a bunch of cavity fixings, lengths of batten and assorted brackets.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2004, 7:38pm

Those brackets look like a steel equivalent of a french cleat which is a much better way to fix any cabinet to the wall.
Easy to remove as well.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2004, 8:17pm

I use french cleats on some of my work but you have to get the cleat level, the advantage with the hanging brackets is that you have got up&down as well as in&out adjustment.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Seaco

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2005, 1:05am

If you get some 12mm MDF about 150mm wide and cut it in half lenthwise at 45 degrees and make the length the same as the width of the  recess in the back of your cupboard, then screw the MDF to the cupboard...

Next step attach the othe piece of MDF to the studs in the wall, this makes for a really cheap and strong fixing for stud walls...

I have made up this pic that will hopefully show yoy how?..... Wink

Edited by MODERATOR to resize picture.

« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2005, 8:38pm by Lectrician »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

splinter
Reply #15 - Mar 6th, 2005, 1:15am

How did you do that Shocked

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all