Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 28th, 2024, 9:33pm
Quote: There are two kinds of pedestrians: the quick and the dead.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Balustrading (Read 5496 times)
Eddy

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Balustrading
Oct 11th, 2004, 5:02pm

I am installing new newel bases at the bottom and top of a flight of stairs. What are the two cut off points?

I understand they are 264mm on the bottom newel and 201mm on the top newel above the pitch line. Is this correct?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Re: Balustrading
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2004, 6:28pm

Thats what it says on Richard burbridges wed site may be different for other makes/designs.

http://www.richardburbidge.co.uk/downloads/BRACKET_INS.pdf

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Eddy

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2004, 7:09pm

Thanks Jason. The pitch line determines the angle of the stairs and so long as I use the standard newel post over my bases and 900mm spindles, I should be okay. What do you think? I'm doing a DIY job on a short flight.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

coggy
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2004, 7:36pm

That way is the Richard Burbage way, but not the only way.  It works as long as your old Newel is the same size as the new or you have to start rounding over the end of the old newel to make it a feature.

You can just buy Full Newels and totally replace them depending on how they are fixed and your skill level.

Please post any questions i will help if i can

Coggy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Eddy

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2004, 8:39pm

I'm not replacing the newel bases. The newel posts will have spigots which sit in the newel bases. The existing ones are square and I am replacing them with turned posts.

My query is 264mm (bottom) and 201mm (top) the industry standard? If it isn't, is there a way of calculating the cut off point above the pitch line?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

coggy
Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2004, 9:01pm

Ok cool, yes the measurements you say are what Richard Burbage recommends.  How he gets these measurements im not sure but i have the video and he does recommend them.

The link Jason B posted will give you all the info you need.

Coggy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2004, 10:39pm

I'm not so sure about this ??? don't you have to follow all the Burbidge instructions to make this work?  

If your stairs are a bit different then the measurements change depending on the exact positioning of the newels?

Eddy is this just a straight flight of stairs? If so you can rest the new handrail on the top of the treads, and it forms the pitch line which you can then measure from.

You don't need to use the handrail any long piece of timber will do.

If that makes any sense?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

coggy
Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2004, 10:50pm

It is a bit weird Keith i agree  ??? The Richard Burbage instructions does give them measurements and shows you where to measure from etc etc.

But im not sure what gives them this measurement and why etc etc

The RB website does give all the instructions though, i dont use there materials fixings etc because i use that small family business nearby which sells all different types (Including RB)

Coggy Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2004, 7:45am

Coggy yes I am sure they are right, but I haven't looked through all the instructions to find out why.

As long as Eddy follows ALL the RB instructions he should be OK using these measurements.

Keith

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

chappers
Trade Member

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2004, 11:49pm

surely this will only work with RB parts as the measurements are to ensure that the squares at the top of the newels are at the correct height for the handrail to be 900mm from the pitch line.
If using anything else then measure from the shoulder of the new newel post, at the bottom up to where the top of the handrail will sit and the take this away from 900 and that is the height above the pitch line at which you need to cut off your existing newel bases. you can use the burbridge method for determining where this height falls on you existing post.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Eddy

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2004, 9:09pm

Thanks Everybody.

Eddy.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1