Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 6:57am
Quote: If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
socket height (Read 16490 times)
supra59
GDPR opt-out

socket height
Oct 13th, 2004, 7:29pm

socket heights and switches

building regs say between 450mm to 1200mm but in a kitchen is there a set height from the work top or does
the above still apply i usually put them around 1100mm

thanks supra

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Re: socket height
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2004, 8:08pm

I may be mistaken here but I thought Building Regs required that sockets and switches be positioned so that anyone (including those with limited movement) can easily use them.  I didn't think there was a specific height required.

I know the OSG suggests between 450 to 1200 but most houses seem to have the sockets around 250 off the floor.  To have them at 450 would look horrible!!

So, is this a rule (the 450 bit) or is it just a recommendation??

Does anyone know  ???

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2004, 8:12pm

btw, the recommended height of sockets above worktops is minimum 150mm from top of worktop to bottom of socket.

IP Logged

Beanzy
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2004, 8:33pm

The building regs cover rooms likely to be used by those who are disabled or infirm. Hence the 450mm so grandma doesn't have to bend down to plug in the TV etc. This would cover all sockets in most new houses as they can't discriminate against those they amy offer them to. Hotels and even sitting rooms in normal houses would be covered too. That's why the IEE regs just go for a 450mm min at the recommended height. Normally for retro-fits and additions installers will just match the existing outlets.

IP Logged

dingbat
Trade Member

How hard can it be?

Total Thanks: 2
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2004, 11:13pm

In a new build you'd have to mount all accessories (at least on the ground floor) between 450 and 1200 mm, which is arse. If it's your own place, or it's for a 'real' customer, one who's going to actually use the place, you can put 'em wherever you like. (Within reason, obviously!)

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2004, 3:08pm

Time Mr Inspectors visit for after the plastering - then he'll never know that above and below each socket you have another box ready to be uncovered to take the accessory at the height you want...

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print