Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 27th, 2024, 2:46pm
Quote: If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
240 Volt Generator (Read 11696 times)
JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Re: 240 Volt Generator
Reply #17 - Oct 21st, 2004, 11:54pm

Thanks for the replies.  

1) Overload taken care of by plug fuses

2) Getting unplugged - I agree potentially dangerous but I'm the only one ever likely to touch any of this gear and I'm well aware of the risks.  

3) Accidentally turning back on the cons. unit.  Again not likely as I am the only one ever likely to touch this.  My wife and two daughters don't even know how to reset the mcb's!!  "too technical.............."  Grin

4) If generator has isolated neutral.................. Hmmmmmm, I was keeping up with you till then  Grin  What does this mean?  Why you no speeka engrish  Embarrassed

btw, the main advantage of the genny during a power cut is to have all our outside driveway lights on, so we can look smug in front of neighbours trying to find their candles  8)

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Reply #18 - Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:03am

[quote author=JerryD  link=1098315135/15#17 date=1098399254]2) Getting unplugged - I agree potentially dangerous but I'm the only one ever likely to touch any of this gear and I'm well aware of the risks [/quote]

To be honest that would be a major concern for me. If you fell over and conked your head or something there's every chance someone could switch the power back on without realising.

I would strongly suggest fitting an isolator switch in the circuit so that it is impossible for both genny and mains to be activated together.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #19 - Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:23am

Yup Andrew, you're right.......

Keep taking the risk until the inevitable happens  Sad

I've stuck that on my list of jobs to do

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #20 - Oct 22nd, 2004, 7:25am

[quote author=JerryD  link=1098315135/15#19 date=1098401022]I've stuck that on my list of jobs to do [/quote]

Oi! That's copyright ©! My catchphrase is "I take care of round tuits".

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

squirrel
Trade Member

d'oh

Total Thanks: 1

Trade: Electrician

Reply #21 - Oct 25th, 2004, 8:40am

Been away for a few days just catching up on gossip

JerryD one comment you made rang alarm bells

Wife & 2 daughters and you have a lead with 13a plug each end - chuck it away don't play russian roullette with your family.

We all take risks & you might be happy to risk your own life but don't risk your families.

Make your system idiot proof it shooldn't cost that much compared with a funeral

Sorry to seem a bit harsh but I used to work in Explosives and saw a close friend killed thru taking a calculated risk!!!

Cheers

Dave

I've heard it all, I've seen it all, I've done it all&&I just don't remember any of it!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #22 - Oct 25th, 2004, 5:50pm

I hear ya!!  Grin

You're all making me feel guilty now, guess I'll have to 'upgrade' my installation.

Thanks for your concern.  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print