Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 8:52pm
Quote: 24 hours in a day and 24 beers in a case. Hmmmm.....

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tile preparation? (Read 12329 times)
jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: Tile preparation?
Reply #17 - Oct 22nd, 2004, 6:03pm

Big-e

Did you see my reply on whatever forum you asked the same question on?

Here it is again:

You would be better off bending plasterboard around your studs then skimming it.

Depending on how tight the curve is you can either wet the outside surface of the plasterboard while it rests against a wall, this will make it sag, then carry on bending over the studs.

If its a tight curve cut parallel lines every 2" with a knife through the paper again on the outside surface then bend to the studs.

If you don't want to use plasterboard then flexi ply would be better than flexi MDF as the ply is WBP bonded. Flexi MDF is not made in moisture resistant or exterior grades.

Jason

IP Logged

big-e

The (piss)artist formerly
known as Mice!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Reply #18 - Oct 22nd, 2004, 6:26pm

Cheers everyone,
I thought you must be able to get away with bending plasterboard somehow.  I think I will order a couple of extra sheets just to be sure.  As I have to build the frame to fix the plasterboard to I will build it in my workshop and lay it down and use as a former.
Thanks for the advice.
Big-e Smiley

OOPS!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #19 - Oct 29th, 2004, 11:23pm

You can buy plasterboard that is made specifically for bending. I have used it before and you can acheive very tight bends. Dry lining supplies in Light***er, Surrey sell it!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Ian_Reynolds
Reply #20 - Jan 8th, 2005, 12:10pm

So does that mean that if you form a stud partition from marine ply - you just tile straight onto it using waterproof tile adhesive ?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Markos

Computer says "no"...

Reply #21 - May 9th, 2005, 1:58pm

I've got alarm bells ringing now... matey's post above said basically never to use PVA on walls as the tiles stick to the PVA layer, and not the wall itself.

I've been tiling the bathroom, and I've PVA'd the walls in advance  Shocked

But... I did it because the manufacturer (am I allowed to say their name? Well... it begins with U and ends in D) states on the back of the tub of "Waterproof Wall Tile Adhesive":-

"Prime porous surfaces with 1 part UniBond PVA diluted with 5 parts water, and allow to dry".

Well... I've just rung their "technical helpline", and the guy there said it was imperative that the walls are cleaned up so that any traces of old wallpaper paste etc are thoroughly removed. Then, the diluted PVA (5:1) can be painted on, and at that level of dilusion it will absorb into the wall. The idea being that it won't leave a film as such.

Anyone got any further comments on this. I don't know if I'm happy or not having PVA'd the walls already?!
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2005, 1:59pm by Markos »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #22 - May 9th, 2005, 9:17pm

Marcos I wouldn't worry. You thinned the PVA down 1:5 so it will have soaked into the substrate. I think you will find that most problems arise when undiluted PVA is used as it forms a film over the surface rather than soaking in.

Plus you followed the manufacturers instructions, which is usually a good idea.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2005, 9:20pm by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

splinter
Reply #23 - May 10th, 2005, 12:58am

[quote author=woodsmith  link=1098379864/15#22 date=1115669870]Marcos I wouldn't worry. You thinned the PVA down 1:5 so it will have soaked into the substrate. I think you will find that most problems arise when undiluted PVA is used as it forms a film over the surface rather than soaking in.

Plus you followed the manufacturers instructions, which is usually a good idea. [/quote]

Got to agree with woodsmith ,It's imperitive that you dilute the PVA otherwise .It will be like plastering on glass
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2005, 1:00am by splinter »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Markos

Computer says "no"...

Reply #24 - May 10th, 2005, 8:26am

Thanks lads  Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged