Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 27th, 2024, 10:39pm
Quote: If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ring Circuits (Read 1970 times)
Eddy

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Ring Circuits
Oct 24th, 2004, 8:48pm

I am not an electrician and would be glad if somebody would explain the following to me.

My storage heaters are connected to the Economy 7 tariff ICU on radial circuits. I understand that this is the norm for storage heaters. But why could they not have been connected to an independent ring circuit?

The panel (convector) heaters in the bedrooms have ratings of between 1500W and 2000W. They, however, are connected to spurs running off the ring circuit suppling the power points on the top floor. If all the panel heaters were all switched on, the consumption would be quite high. Would this overload the circuit? And if so, is the installed 30-amp circuit breaker enough?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Re: Ring Circuits
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2004, 9:47pm

Radial circuits offer a better form of power distribution, and heaters are far better off on dedicated radial circuits.  With rings, dependant on resistance due to increased load, only around 2/3 of the total circuit rating is available on each leg.  Whilst this offers a satisfactory form of distribution for ring mains with generally low-current appliances being plugged in, it is not ideal for high-load heaters.
You need to work out the total load of all your heaters, and other commonly-used appliances (fridge/freezer) on the circuit, and see whether this could come near or exceed the circuit protective device (fuse/MCB) rating -> I=P/V.  If it does, they need an extra dedicated circuit, or your existing circuit needs splitting into two.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Re: Ring Circuits
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2004, 11:32pm

the ring was designed for a specific reason

to allow 2 3kW heaters to be plugged into *any* 2 sockets in a house still leave enough power for small appliances and keep the amount copper used to achive this down

storage heaters are a totally different type of load. They are not normally moved around. They switch on and off all together. They need about 3KW each and noone would normally wan't to put small appliances on the off peak systen

so a ring wouldn't gain you anything over putting them on thier own individual 15A/16A radials

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print