Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 28th, 2024, 7:14am
Quote: The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Training (Read 5048 times)
John   Davies
GDPR opt-out

Training
Oct 26th, 2004, 1:14am

My 21 year old son is considering a career as an electrician and is wondering where to start - he is just too old to be an apprentice.  Can anyone suggest the best way into the profession?  

Is he best to get a job as a trainee and study part time, or could he stand a better chance by taking a crash course and then applying for a job?  Can he remain in his present job and do an evening course?  Any views or suggestions?

John Davies

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Training
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2004, 4:23am

Please take into consideration when reading the following that I am not an electrician. My father was, and I've done a fair amount of electrical work in my time. But that qualifies me for diddly squat in terms of representing the profession.

My view is that to become a competent electrician requires doing the job under the expert tuition of someone who is already qualified. It isn't something I would expect that can be learnt out of a book, so the evening class route alone doesn't sound very practical in this respect. I wouldn't expect a future employer to offer a job based upon academic qualifications only, and indeed I would think an employer might rank practical previous experience higher than any pieces of paper that might have been accumulated.

Sometimes when confronted with an electrical job there is more than one way of providing a solution - it's not always quite as simple as wiring a light switch. And it is that knowledge which can only be imparted by being with someone who can explain why something is done in a particular way for that particular job which is so important.

One avenue your son might like to explore is to have a chat with the guy that runs the courses at the local college (where the evening classes are run). Explain the situation to him and see what his views are. At the very least I would expect he would be reasonably knowledgeable about how people might get into the profession.

Finally, perhaps a lesson from my own personal experience may be of help. I'd made up my mind to become an electronics engineer, but didn't enter the apprenticeship arrangement. At age 20 I'd got the qualification (HNC Electronics), but didn't have the experience.

I worked for a large semiconductor manufacturer employing some 3,500 people at the time. So brazen as hell I went and knocked on the door of the plant manager who was responsible for the electronic maintenance department for the whole factory - he was like next to god in the management structure of the company, way too high for me to be talking to him but I hadn't actually learnt that at the time. I told him what I wanted to achieve, showed how determined I was by knocking on his door, and a month later he offered me the next job that became available.

Moral of the story: If your son is determined to get into the sparky trade then he won't do himself any harm knocking on doors that stand between him and what he wants to do. I did exactly that, I'm proud to have done that because I couldn't get to where I wanted in the career direction I was in at the time, but looking back I don't know how I ever managed to cobble together enough bravery to do it at the time.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

shed-u-like

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2004, 12:33pm

21 is not too old for an apprenticeship.  The Modern Apprenticeship scheme has recently been extended to include people up to age 25.  Do a search on Modern Apprenticeships to get more info.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

tellondon
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2004, 4:32pm

http://www.jib.org.uk/home.htm
http://www.jtlimited.co.uk/mainPage.htm

These two sites should be usefull, i havnt read them fully but im sure they will help

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

John   Davies
Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2004, 1:13am

We'll check them out - thanks for all the advice.

John Davies

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2004, 1:18am

i wish you and you son  luck j d i hope he finds  his vocation in life Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Wink

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2004, 1:59am

Try: http://www.city-and-guilds.co.uk/pls/cg2/pkg_cg_qualfind.prc_main

Search for 2360 for all the basics, including the practical side, 2381 for familiarity with regs, and 2391 for inspection & testing.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2004, 5:04am

I believe that 2360 is being phased out currently, and has been replaced by 2330?

My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that the only 2360 courses that are running are for those already subscribed.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2004, 5:07am

[quote author=big_all  link=1098749669/0#5 date=1098836314] i wish you and you son  luck j d i hope he finds  his vocation in life Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Wink [/quote]

Out Out Out you devil!  Grin

and handymac too, go on now..shooo!  Cheesy

Quote:
I believe that 2360 is being phased out currently, and has been replaced by 2330?

My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that the only 2360 courses that are running are for those already subscribed.

Andrew

Yes that would be correct, however with you can still get on a part one 2360, so not really somthing to worry about, BUT don't join 2360, no point when 2330 electotechnical courses are already operational (basicaly because there the same as 2360 rly  Wink)
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2004, 5:10am by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

shed-u-like

Reply #9 - Oct 27th, 2004, 9:38am

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print