Quote: Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up - Jesse Jackson

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
SHOWER TRIPPING RCD (Read 15561 times)
Chaddy
GDPR opt-out

SHOWER TRIPPING RCD
Nov 16th, 2004, 9:18pm

???My mate has just fitted a 10.5kw shower for me along with a clipsal RCD unit. The problem i've got, is that as soon as you select any kind of temperature setting(i.e. you try to heat the water) the RCD trips!! Also the test button doesn't work on the RCD. Does this indicate a problem internally with the shower or is it the RCD???? ??? The pull switch has been bypassed to make sure that wasn't shorting.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2005, 7:54pm by LSpark »  

IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: SHOWER TRIPPING RCD
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2004, 9:48pm

If the RCD is ok, then it is only doing its job, which infers that your shower installation is faulty - either the cable, or the shower unit itself.

Clipseal is a crap brand but if its new it should be ok first time out.

Your shower unit could have an earth fault, and I'd get this checked out before further use is made of the unit for safety's sake.

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2004, 9:54pm

Yeah thought clipsal were shite. What do you recommend if and when it needs changing?
Why doesn't the test button work?? Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2004, 10:21pm

MK is the way to go - dear but good.

Reason why test button doesn't work?
Well firstly, the thing has to be switched on.
Secondly, the thing has to be connected up correctly - is your 'mate' a sparky?

If neither of these are not the cause, then the RCD unit itself might be U/S. Its not unusual to find one dead-on-arrival straight out the box, but it is rare.

Is any of this gear second-hand by the way?

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2004, 10:25pm

All brand new!!
He's not a sparky
The RCD test button still doesn't trip even when powered up.
Should the earth bonding cable from the shower supply pipe go to the CU or the new RCD enclosure?
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2005, 10:27pm by Chaddy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2004, 10:36pm

The earth in the shower cables botyh to the shower and from the main switch should both go to the RCD earth terminal. You can also run an earth back to the CU if you wish. There should also be a seperate earth connecting the showr to the light fitting and to any exposed metalwork in the bathroom - eg radiator pipes, hot and cold feeds to bath & handbasin. This does not necessarily need to go all the way back to the CU.

The test button will not work unless there is an earth connected.

TT

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2004, 10:43pm

Thanks TT. Will check this out tomorrow and let you know what the outcome is. Thanks for the advice.
Chaddy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2004, 10:51pm

No worries - good luck.

Its my guess that the thing's not been correctly wired/connected.

TT

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2004, 5:54am

Yep and watch out for the neutral on the wrong side of the split bar and/or the U link not taken out of the Neutral bars.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2004, 10:35am

[quote author=The_Trician  link=1100639906/0#5 date=1100644598]The test button will not work unless there is an earth connected.

TT [/quote]

I thought an earth isn't needed on modern RCDs for testing - it creates an inbalance by linking the load phase with the supply neutral through a resistor?  The earth is necessary for effective protection of the shower unit, but not for testing.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2004, 11:18am

You are probably right mate, but I can't see his actual RCD from here, so am just guessing.

TT

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2004, 5:58pm

Ok changed the RCD. everything worked great water got hot etc. Put the pull switch back on and it tripped. Thought it must be the switch shorting. Removed it joined the wires turned the power back on and it tripped Cry and the test button no longer works on this new RCD. Is it possible to blow the RCD and is it repairable????
One other thing the earth bonding wire was fitted to the CU. When i removed it there was a small spark. Is this significant????

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2004, 6:14pm

[quote author=Chaddy  link=1100639906/0#11 date=1100714321]
One other thing the earth bonding wire was fitted to the CU. When i removed it there was a small spark. Is this significant???? [/quote]

Very!. You may have a neutral to earth short. Get a spark in to have a shufti properly as you may not have the kit to check insulation resistance or measure the current/voltage on that earth. Your earthing in the installation will be live, but may be of high enough impedence not to trip the main fuse immediately. So the short circuit capacity of the circuit and earth continuity will have to be checked too.

Another thing to check visually is the neutral bar at the consumer unit. Is this actually two bars with a feed from the main incoming bar to the secondary RCD bar? Sometimes there is a link between the two.

Do the phase (red or brown) wires all go to the same way number as their corresponding Neutrals and Earths on the respective bars?

I'd whip the L,N &E off the consumer unit for all of that shower circuit until you've had it checked.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2004, 6:18pm by Beanzy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #13 - Nov 17th, 2004, 6:25pm

I know what the problem is - I think?

The clue is in the shower pull switch.

Its my bet that you have L going to L on one side but you have the other L in the N terminal and vice-versa.

Check how your pullswitch is connected up.

Red from mains should go to L and red to shower should go to L-load.

Black from Mains should go to N and Black to shower should go to N-Load.

Also check that your RCD hasn't been cross-connected in the same way.

Dunno if its knackered the RCD or not - you'll have to try it again once you are sure everythings correctly connected.

TT

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Reply #14 - Nov 17th, 2004, 9:30pm

Reverse polarity?  Yes - good idea.  Could be another fault, but it's a good starting point.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #15 - Nov 17th, 2004, 9:35pm

I thought it sounded like the switch, especially as it was fine until the switch was reconnected!!
Got a professional coming tomorrow to check it over. Don't want to take any more chances. Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #16 - Nov 17th, 2004, 9:45pm

Can you give me any ideas how much i can expect to pay to have the installation checked out??
I know it's a difficult question to answer but a ball park figure would help to make sure i don't get ripped off.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print