Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 27th, 2024, 5:47pm
Quote: Why is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
which cable (Read 3133 times)
reg

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

which cable
Nov 17th, 2004, 9:45pm

I want to replace a pendant light with a track holding 4 halogen lights. It is the last light in a loop in circuit so there are only two cables visable, each with a red and black wire and no earths. I understand one of these cables is the circuit and the other is to the light switch and should be marked as such, but neither has any identification at all. Is there a simple foolproof method to establish which cable is to the  light switch? Any hints would be very welcome.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Re: which cable
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2004, 9:52pm

some of the sparkys here will probablly hate me for syaing this but it really doesn't matter much

if you get the two blacks the wrong way round in the fitting its not doing to break anything or make it dangerous

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2004, 10:04pm

if you have a continuety tester, or a torch that will do

kill the power at the fuse board
use the main switch unless you have a meter that you can be sure of telling you its dead(test it on a known live source to prove the unit -  you should make sure you have only one main switch and there arnt any hiding)

then get the two cables, seperate their cores out
connect your meter (or between the battery and the bulb if your using a torch) and operate/ get somone to operate the switch.
if the meter shows continuity when the switch is operated, and then dies when its disconnected then thats the cable.

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2004, 9:48am

I wouldn't bother with testing, unless you want to rectify the unmarked-switched-live problem.

Use a junction box, connect the two reds together, keep the blacks separate, wire the track to the two blacks.

I'd be more concerned about the lack of earth - is it just here, or does none of the lighting circuit have an earth?

Does this track require an earth?

Do you have any other lights which need an earth?

Do you have metal switches?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

reg

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2004, 12:05am

The light circuit has no earth afraid to say. The house was built around 40 years ago and still has the original wiring. All the light fittings are plastic as is the new track which does not have an earth. Thanks to all you guys for your input which has helped me get the job done

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2004, 12:34am

[quote author=reg  link=1100727958/0#4 date=1100822710]The house was built around 40 years ago and still has the original wiring. [/quote]
If that's true, you might be due for a rewire...

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print